IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) – Iowa is warning furloughed workers that they will lose their unemployment benefits if they refuse to return when their employer calls them back to work.Gov. Kim Reynolds is moving to partially reopen 77 of the state’s 99 counties Friday, relaxing restrictions that were intended to stop the spread of the coronavirus.Restaurants, some bars, malls, fitness centers, and retail stores are expected to open their doors for the first time in several weeks.The reopening comes as Iowa experiences one of the nation’s fastest growth rates in coronavirus cases. At least 127 Iowa residents have died in the pandemic and 300 are hospitalized.Iowa Workforce Development said Monday that failing to return to work out of fear of catching the virus will be considered a voluntary quit, which disqualifies workers from receiving unemployment benefits.The department urged employers to report workers who don’t return to their jobs for a good reason “as soon as possible.” It warned that the federal law providing an additional $600 weekly in benefits contains “serious consequences” for fraudulent claims.Workers who do not return can collect benefits only under certain circumstances, such as being sick due to the virus or living with an infected family member.
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — Iowa’s Republican governor has rejected two-thirds of the Democratic state attorney general’s requests to join multistate lawsuits. Gov. Kim Reynolds’ actions were made possible by an unusual compromise that has allowed her to repeatedly block the state’s involvement in challenges to Trump administration policies. Iowa Attorney General Tom Miller agreed in May 2019 to seek Reynolds’ approval before he would join multistate lawsuits, and Reynolds in turn vetoed a Republican-backed bill that would have prevented the state’s top lawyer from joining any multistate suit unless the governor or Legislature requested it. Miller says the compromise importantly is temporary and won’t hamstring future Iowa attorneys general
A final ruling on the case will be made by a judge.A spokesman for Neymar said he was not able to comment on the police decision. Sao Paulo police are due to hold a news conference on Tuesday.Neymar has vehemently denied allegations he raped a Brazilian woman in a Paris hotel in May.The ugly affair, which has dominated headlines and conversations in the soccer-mad country for weeks, overshadowed Brazil’s preparations for the Copa America.Hosts Brazil went on to win South America’s showcase tournament earlier this month without their biggest player, who was injured in a warm-up friendly before the opening match.The scandal blew up on June 2 when Neymar published a seven-minute video on Instagram, where he had first been in contact with Najila Trindade, revealing that he had been accused of rape.In an attempt to defend himself against the allegations, Neymar’s video was accompanied by WhatsApp messages and images of his encounter with Trindade — without her consent, possibly breaking Brazilian law.– Police questioning –The drama quickly snowballed. Extracts of a televised interview with Trindade, in which she accused Neymar of “aggression together with rape,” aired just one hour before he was about to enter the pitch for the pre-Copa game between Brazil and Qatar.Neymar tore his right ankle ligament in the 20th minute, ruling him out of the tournament.In the following weeks, Neymar was questioned by police over the WhatsApp messages.He also appeared before police in Sao Paulo, where Trindade had filed her complaint at the end of May.As the case dragged on, police filed a defamation suit against Trindade — who was dropped by multiple lawyers — after she insinuated the force was corrupt.“The police are bought, aren’t they? Or am I crazy?” she told television channel SBT last month in response to questions over the police investigation of an alleged theft of a tablet device from her home that contained a short video she claims has conclusive evidence she was assaulted.Despite the seriousness of the allegations, polls have shown that most Brazilians believe Neymar is innocent.Controversy has followed the Paris Saint-Germain player, who flew back to France earlier this month.Neymar, who joined PSG in 2017, has made clear he wants to return to Barcelona.He has yet to feature during PSG’s pre-season tour in Asia and French media reported he will miss Tuesday’s game against Sydney in China.0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Police in Brazil probing rape allegations against football superstar Neymar, pictured April 21, 2019, have closed the case due to a lack of evidence, the Sao Paulo attorney general’s office says © AFP/File / Anne-Christine POUJOULATSAO PAULO, Brazil, Jul 30 – Police in Brazil probing rape allegations against football superstar Neymar have closed the case due to a lack of evidence, the Sao Paulo attorney general’s office said Monday.The police decision will be sent to prosecutors on Tuesday, who will have 15 days to evaluate the case, a spokeswoman for the attorney general’s office told AFP.