USC releases ‘Agents and Athletes’ policy

first_imgThree months after improper contact between USC freshman tailback Dillon Baxter and another USC student resulted in Baxter’s suspension from a Nov. 20 game at Oregon State, USC’s Office of Athletic Compliance released a statement Tuesday outlining a new “Athletes and Agents” policy.Crucial · Since Pat Haden took over as athletic director, the university’s compliance staff has increased in size and prominence. The newly released “Agents and Athletes” policy is intended to further help USC student-athletes remain in good standing with the NCAA. – Anna Wierzbowska | Daily Trojan The statement, sent via e-mail Tuesday morning to students, staff and faculty noted that USC, in an effort to remain in compliance with NCAA rules, stresses that students and staff members refrain from impermissible conduct with student-athletes.“We are committed to protecting our student-athletes from any contact, communication or conduct with individuals who seek to inappropriately contact or represent student-athletes before their eligibility is exhausted or voluntarily terminated,” wrote Elizabeth Garrett, provost and senior vice president for academic affairs, and Todd Dickey, senior vice president for administration.According to the university’s compliance office, the policy is the first of its kind.“I’m unaware of other universities adopting such a policy,” said Dave Roberts, USC’s vice president for athletic compliance. “With all the press we’ve been getting, you’d think someone would have said they’d had seen a similar policy before.”Under the policy, students, staff and other third parties are required to notify USC’s compliance office of their involvement with a sports agency before any interaction with student-athletes.“We’re publishing this to the student body, so they can be aware,” Roberts said. “Of course, somebody could choose to ignore it, but we have to at least be proactive by putting the policy in place.”Specifically, the new regulations stipulate that all such parties provide written notification to the school’s compliance office within 24 hours of their involvement with a sports agency or similar marketing agency.Those found to be in violation of the policy would then be subject to remedial action and/or discipline, according to the release.“I don’t think it’ll force a divide between students and student-athletes,” Roberts said. “It should only be an issue for certified agents.”Last November, Baxter accepted a ride in a golf cart from a student, Teague Egan, who at the time was a National Football League Players Association-certified agent, in addition to founder and CEO of 1st Round Enterprises, a marketing agency that seeks to represent athletes and musicians.“We have been exploring agent issues since June,” Roberts said. “1st Round accelerated the process and was the driving force behind the policy, but we had been looking at this before.”Eventually, Baxter was declared eligible for USC’s final two games of the season after donating $5 to a local charity as repayment for the ride.“The idea of a student-agent had not crossed anyone’s mind,” Roberts said.Although USC met with the NCAA Infractions Appeals Committee last month in Indianapolis, the recently announced policy is said to be entirely unrelated to the athletic department’s efforts to have NCAA-levied sanctions lessened.“It’s completely, 100 percent separate,” Roberts said. “What the appeals committee sees is what we did in the past. The policy does not touch the appeal. It is forward-looking, and hopefully we can show the NCAA that we’re doing everything we can to police.”The idea for the policy did come at least partially from USC’s athletic department, which is separate from compliance.“We do work closely with athletics,” Roberts said. “They’re supportive of it. At request of their office, we were able to put this in place.”last_img read more

National team pool slots at stake at BVR nat’l championships

first_imgBea Tan, who is also a co-founder of the BVR, expects tougher competition in this year’s national finals, which is a culmination of seven BVR legs where they saw the potential of beach volleyball players from all over the country.“Very competitive teams from the provinces will come to Anguib to compete,” she said.Soriano said they have yet to finalize the list of competitors but some who have confirmed are FEU, Dipolog, Coast Guard, NU, Bacolod, Iloilo, Cebu, RTU, La Salle Bacolod, Ateneo, Navy, at Coast Guard for the Men’s division, and RTU, Ateneo, Iloilo, Cebu, Bacolod, Tagum, PNP, at Perlas for the Women’s division.Aside from a chance to represent the Philippines in international competition, the champion will take home P50, 000 while the runner up and third place will settle for P30,000 and P15,000, respectively.ADVERTISEMENT End of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legend Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks PLAY LIST 01:40Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks01:32Taal Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite 787 earthquakes recorded in 24 hours due to restive Taal Volcano Missile-capable frigate BRP Jose Rizal inches closer to entering PH Navy’s fleet Malacañang open to creating Taal Commission IT happens: Facebook sorry for Xi Jinping’s name mistranslation “Number one metric of growth is increasing the number of tandem teams and another is [having] men’s and women’s events instead of just single gender,” said BVR founder Charo Soriano in a presser Tuesday at Delimondo Cafe.The stakes are also higher this year as the top three teams from each division will get slots in the beach volleyball national team pool from which the squad for the Southeast Asian Beach Games in September will come from, as supported by Larong Volleyball sa Pilipinas Inc.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSEnd of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legendSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’For both the men’s and women’s divisions, the 16 teams will be broken down into four pools for a single-round robin format. The top two from each pool will play the other top teams in a crossover eliminations before moving on the semifinals and the finals.The beach volleyball action will happen across three days on the powdery white sand beach of Anguib at the tip of the northeastern part of Luzon. LIVE: Sinulog 2020 Grand Parade Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next BVR executives Tony Boy Liao, Charo Soriano and Bea Tan. Photo by Celest Colina/INQUIRERA record number of teams will compete for a slot in the Philippine team pool in the Beach Volleyball Republic On Tour national championships from July 28 to 30 at Aguib Beach in Sta. Cagayan.From just 16 last year, the number of tandem teams in the national championship has doubled to 32—a testament to the growth of the sport which the executives of BVR have been aiming for.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES Tanduay books quarters seat, subdues Wangs Duterte’s ‘soft heart’ could save ABS-CBN, says election lawyer Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. MOST READ Marcosian mode: Duterte threatens to arrest water execs ‘one night’ IT happens: Facebook sorry for Xi Jinping’s name mistranslation View commentslast_img read more

Gardai believe thieves used cover of storm to break into supermarket

first_imgIt has emerged that a gang used the cover of Storm Ophelia to break into a supermarket and rob its safe.Gardai believe the Centra Store in Carrigart may be the latest target of a gang which has struck more than six times in recent weeks.The shop was targeted between 11pm and 2am on Monday night/Tuesday morning during the height of gale-force winds from the storm. The gang managed to gain entry through the back door and stole a quantity of merchandise including cigarettes before making away with its safe.Garda Superintendent David Kelly of Milford Garda Station appealed to anyone who may have seen anybody acting suspiciously in the area at the time to contact them.Because so few people or cars were out on the streets on the night in question, somebody may have noticed something, he said.Boyce’s Centra in Carrigart “Due to the fact that the storm was on that night there wasn’t much traffic on the road. So I would ask anyone no matter where they are in the greater Carrigart area in the direction of Creeslough and Milford and even in Letterkenny that if they have cameras in their houses or businesses if they can just check between 11pm and 2 to 3pm.“If there are vehicles being moved then we should be able to identify them. It shouldn’t be too hard to follow them up and I would ask them to identify them and I would ask people to pass on this information,” he said.He added that he was keeping an open mind if the latest raid is connected with the previous raids by the same gang in recent weeks.The highly-organised thieves have stolen cash, cigarettes, whiskey and razor blades in a robbery spree which has targeted post offices, shops, petrol stations and a jewellery shop.Boyce’s Centra became the latest target of the thieves in the early hours of this morning.The gang gained entry through a rear door before stealing cigarettes and then made off with the safe containing an undisclosed amount of cash. The shop hit the headlines last October when it sold a €2.25 million lotto ticket.Gardai believe thieves used cover of storm to break into supermarket was last modified: October 20th, 2017 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:BoycesburglaryCarrigartCentradonegalStorm Ophelialast_img read more