Rebecca Naomi Jones, Bobby Steggert & More Set for Signature Theatre’s Big Love

first_img Additional cast members include Emmanuel Brown (Kung Fu) as Oed, Lynn Cohen (The Hunger Games: Catching Fire) as Bella, Ellen Harvey (The Phantom of the Opera) as Eleanor, Ryan-James Hatanaka (King Lear) as Constantine, Christopher Innvar (The Snow Geese) as Piero, Preston Sadleir (Top Five) as Giuliano, Stacey Sargeant (Our Lady of Kibeho) as Thyona, Nathaniel Stampley (Porgy and Bess) as Leo and Libby Winters (American Idiot) as Olympia. Related Shows In Big Love, fifty brides flee their fifty grooms and seek refuge in an Italian villa. Mayhem ensues, complete with flight suit-clad grooms, women throwing themselves to the ground and occasional pop songs. The cast is now set for Signature Theatre’s production of Big Love, a modern adaptation of Aeschylus’ The Danaids written by Charles Mee. Tina Landau will direct a company that includes Rebecca Naomi Jones (American Idiot, Murder Ballad) as Lydia and Tony nominee Bobby Steggert (Mothers and Sons, Big Fish) as Nikos. Performances will begin on February 3 at the Irene Diamond Stage at the Pershing Square Signature Center, where it will run through March 15. Opening night is set for February 23. View Commentscenter_img Show Closed This production ended its run on March 15, 2015 Big Love The production will feature scenic design by Brett Banakis, costume design by Anita Yavich, lighting design by Scott Zielinski, sound design by Kevin O’Donnell and projection design by Austin Switser.last_img read more

MidAmerican Plans for 100% Wind by 2021

first_img FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Des Moines Register:MidAmerican Energy said Wednesday it plans to invest $922 million in added wind-power capacity, equaling as much renewable energy as its customers use.“If the project is approved, it will allow our customers to get 100 percent of their annual energy use from a clean, renewable and cost-effective source,” said Adam Wright, MidAmerican’s CEO. “This is, no doubt, historic.”MidAmerican said it will be the first investor-owned electric utility nationally to meet the goal, which the Des Moines utility announced in 2016.The latest wind investment, expected to be completed in late 2020, would enable the company to freeze consumer rates, possibly up to 15 years, MidAmerican said. “With wind, we don’t need to buy fuel to make the energy,” Wright said. “This is a big reason why MidAmerican Energy’s rates are 37 percent below the national average.”MidAmerican needs the Iowa Utilities Board approval before it can move forward with the project. MidAmerican’s newest project would add 591 megawatts of wind generation. With nearly 2,200 turbines, the company’s wind generation capacity is 4,400 megawatts. It has 27 wind farms across Iowa. With its newest project, MidAmerican will have invested about $12.3 billion in wind generation in Iowa since 2004.More: MidAmerican Will be First to Create Enough Wind Energy to Cover 100% of Consumer Use MidAmerican Plans for 100% Wind by 2021last_img read more

Japanese firms abandon plans for 2GW coal plant near Tokyo

first_imgJapanese firms abandon plans for 2GW coal plant near Tokyo FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Reuters:Japan’s Idemitsu Kosan, Kyushu Electric Power and Tokyo Gas said on Thursday they have given up their plan to build a 2 gigawatt (GW) coal-fired power station in Chiba, near Tokyo, as it would not be economically feasible.The move follows a similar decision by Chugoku Electric Power and JFE Steel, a unit of JFE Holdings last month, and comes amid growing pressure in most of the world for companies to divest coal assets due to environmental concerns.Burning coal to generate power produces large quantities of carbon dioxide and other so-called greenhouse gases responsible for climate change. An international agreement reached in Paris in 2015 committed signatories to cutting fossil fuel use.Kyushu Electric and Tokyo Gas said instead they will consider building a gas-fired power plant, using liquefied natural gas (LNG), at the same site owned by Idemitsu.Amid growing pressure, Japan’s trading house Marubeni Corp said last year that it would no longer start new coal-fired power plant projects and would halve its net coal power generating capacity of about 3 GW by 2030 to help cut greenhouse gas emissions and tackle global climate change.More: Japan’s Idemitsu, Kyushu Elec, Tokyo Gas scrap coal-fired power plant planlast_img read more

Maduro Authorizes Mining in Rivers, Plunders Orinoco Gold

first_imgBy Ricardo Guanipa D’Erizans/Diálogo June 04, 2020 The Nicolás Maduro regime has lifted the prohibition on river mining, authorizing gold and diamond exploitation in six rivers in the country’s south. The April 8 decree declared the Aro, Caroní, Caura, Cuchivero, Cuyuní, and Yuruari rivers (vital riverine areas in the Amazon) suitable for mining, incorporating them with the Orinoco Mining Arc project — an area that covers 12 percent of the Venezuelan territory and comprises Bolívar and Amazonas states.In mid-April, the Venezuelan National Assembly led by Juan Guaidó condemned and rejected this decree, which, according to legislators, could worsen environmental conditions, increase persecution of indigenous communities, and is also a constitutional violation.River mining was already carried out illegally in Venezuela, so critics said that the decree was created only for Maduro to continue to plunder the nation’s wealth and finance narcotrafficking.“Maduro is just formalizing illegal mining activities in Venezuelan rivers,” Liborio Guarulla, former governor of Amazonas state on the border with Colombia, told Diálogo. “We’ve been denouncing the same activities for four years […]. In Amazonas state, Colombian guerrillas and Venezuelan irregular groups carry out illegal mining, working in some way with the protection of the Venezuelan government.”During a parliamentary session on April 21, representative Américo De Grazia called the decree a “legal monstrosity” and blamed narco-terrorist groups.“The FARC [Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia], the ELN [National Liberation Army], and Hezbollah have taken by force every mining site in southern Orinoco, in the Venezuelan Amazon, and in the Orinoco Delta, causing ecocide and displacing a great number of indigenous ethnic groups,” De Grazia said.Guarulla said that Maduro and his closest allies, whom the United States formally charged with narcotrafficking, will profit even more from river mining with this decree, because they will be able to control rivers, which according to him, are already being used to transport drugs from Colombia to the Atlantic.“The activities are conducted on the Guaviare [a tributary of the Orinoco River in Colombia] but mainly on the Orinoco River, which allows [narcotraffickers] to reach Venezuelan territory and go to Brazil or the Atlantic Ocean with their drug shipments,” Guarulla said.In addition to politicians, several environmental and human rights groups have opposed Maduro’s decree for its highly damaging impact on the environment and the suffering that mining brings to the Mining Arc’s indigenous people. Many are forced to work under the threat of violence, are subjected to atrocities, and even killed, indicates the Center for Strategic and International Studies, a U.S. think tank, in its April 2020 report, Illegal Mining in Venezuela: Death and Devastation in the Amazonas and Orinoco Regions.On May 8, the Ecological Research Center of Venezuela reported that criminal groups that carry out mining operations on the Caura River, which was declared suitable for exploitation, had killed 13 members of the Yekuana indigenous community. According to PROVEA, a Venezuelan nongovernmental organization for human rights, at least 16 indigenous communities, totaling about 50,000 people, live near the rivers that are now open to mining in Bolívar state.The decree’s illegal nature has also been pointed out. The Political Ecology Observatory of Venezuela reported on its website that river mining violates Sections 53 and 54 of the Venezuelan Constitution’s Water Law.“The rivers in Bolívar state are part of the largest freshwater reserves on the planet and 90 percent of the water supply for all of Venezuela,” representative Rachid Yasbek, told Diálogo. “For this reason, before Chavismo came to power, constitutional orders banned these mining activities in Venezuelan rivers. However, Maduro uses the exploitation of this gold to maintain his dictatorship, after having destroyed the country’s entire productive apparatus.”last_img read more

A Supremely Serene Modern Coastal Design

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Modern coastal design has evolved from the more traditional beach-inspired style where vibrant hues of blue, the beauty of the ocean, and natural organic elements reign.Designers Amanda Moore, owner of Wolf & Wing Interior Design, and her partner, Keri Venti, pulled the look off in this 3,000-square-foot Long Beach home transforming the space into a light, bright, and airy retreat that is so serene one may never want to leave.“The homeowner wanted a cohesive coastal modern style down to every last detail,” says Moore. “The homeowner had chosen a lot of lovely elements but needed help making them all work together.”Both designers sought inspiration from their surroundings — the ocean hues, the sun bleached white, the natural light — and incorporated natural materials and fabrics into the decor along with nautical vintage finds that were paramount for the look they wanted to achieve.“In the past, most beach houses had more literal decor like sand dollars and starfish,” Moore says. “Our approach for this house was to use a palette of colors drawn from nature with pops of nautical colors, like the deeper blue and yellow in the TV room. Textures like woven pillows or the grasscloth in an upstairs den reinforce the connection to nature. Sea-derived decor that is less literal and more modern — such as a boat propeller and driftwood — round out the coastal theme.”This design project was particularly special for both designers since the home was devastated by Superstorm Sandy and had to be rebuilt.“The homeowner wanted to take the lemons of the storm and make lemonade: Her family’s dream forever home,” says Moore.last_img read more

Today is Primary Election Day

first_imgGreensburg, In. — Today is Primary Election Day, Indiana Secretary of State Connie Lawson is reminding Hoosiers to participate by casting a ballot.Cities and towns around the state are holding primary elections today, and Hoosiers can go to Indiana Voters to look up which candidates will be on their ballot. Voters will be required to enter their county of residence, name and date of birth to access their personal information. Voters can also find information on their polling location and election night results.“I encourage all Hoosier voters to visit IndianaVoters.com to educate themselves on who they’ll be voting for and where they’ll be voting,” said Secretary Lawson. “An informed electorate is the key to a successful democracy so I encourage all voters to take advantage of this tool.”Hoosiers may also call the toll free Hoosier Voter Hotline at 866-IN-1-VOTE to speak directly to a representative for information, polling locations and to file grievances. Staff will be on hand to answer calls from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. EDT on Election Day.Voters may also click here for additional information, including information regarding Indiana’s photo ID law. Indiana’s photo ID law requires every voter to present a government-issued ID before casting their vote at the polls. For more information on Photo ID click here.last_img read more

Coronavirus: IOC under pressure to postpone Olympics

first_imgRelatedPosts Italy introduces compulsory virus testing for travellers from France Nigeria records new COVID-19 infections, more deaths as figures rise to 57,242 I was in best of forms before Tokyo Paralympics was postponed — Powerlifter Ejike The International Olympic Committee continues to come under pressure to postpone the 2020 Tokyo Games due to the coronavirus pandemic. Sporting events around the globe have all taken action as life is put on hold for athletes and fans alike. On Saturday, US Track and Field sent an email calling for the US Olympic and Paralympic Committee to make representations about delaying the Games in Japan – set to start on July 24 – as the “right and responsible thing to do” in the circumstances. An increasing number of athletes have been speaking out over their fears for Tokyo 2020, particularly in relation to social distancing, which make their training programmes impossible to pursue. USA Swimming, meanwhile, had already asked the USOPC to push for a one-year postponement as the impact of the lockdown began to hit home. USATF chief executive Max Siegel wrote: “The right and responsible thing to do is prioritise everyone’s health and safety, and appropriately recognise the toll this difficult situation has, and continues to take, on our athletes and their Olympic Games preparations. “We are all experiencing unfathomable disruptions, and everyone’s lives are being impacted accordingly. “For those reasons, USATF is respectfully requesting that the (USOPC) advocate to the IOC for the postponement of the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo.” The Spanish Football Federation also called for this summer’s Olympics to be postponed. President of the RFEF Luis Rubiales made the request to IOC committee member Juan Antonio Samaranch Jr at a meeting with other Spanish sports federations, the governing body said in a statement. The meeting had been called by president of the Spanish Olympic Committee, Alejandro Blanco. Rubiales said in a statement: “At this time, health must prevail over any other issue and we must be on the side of our Government. “Sport is our reason for being, but now it must be in the background. We continue to work for football and solutions for this sector, however, now the duty as Spaniards is to stay united and to suspend all sports events.”Tags: CoronavirusInternational Olympic CommitteeIOCMax SiegelUSOPClast_img read more

Scholes happy to slip quietly away

first_img Scholes resumed his career in January 2012 after initially quitting the game at the end of the 2010-11 season. The 38-year-old made his 717th Manchester United appearance against Swansea on Sunday after making his debut on September 21, 1994 in a League Cup game against Port Vale. And he revealed there will be no changing his mind about retirement this time. “I think this is it. I’m sure this is it,” Scholes told Sky Sports. “It’s probably not the season I would have liked to go out on but the last four months have been quite difficult with injury, with my knee and trying to get back fit again. “I’m totally convinced. I was convinced last time to be honest with you. At the time you are but I know now in my head that I have gone as far as I possibly can physically. “This is the end. Again.” Paul Scholes is happy for his retirement to slip under the radar on the day when Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson also bade farewell to Old Trafford. Press Associationcenter_img United midfielder Scholes announced his retirement for a second time on Saturday and joked that the news surrounding Ferguson’s retirement after more than 26 years in charge at United – plus continued speculation about Wayne Rooney’s future, had given him the opportunity to slip away quietly. “It couldn’t be any better could it?” Scholes said. “(The speculation of) Wayne Rooney asking for a transfer – there’s not much else that can go well for me. Yeah, it’s the perfect weekend for me. (My) last game and I will just slip under the radar and off I go.” last_img read more

Republic youngsters held by Russia

first_img It was a second game without a win for the Irish in Spain after their defeat to the United States on Saturday. The Russian fightback came despite the 26th-minute sending off of Dmitri Efremov. Ireland’s two-goal lead lasted until Alexander Morgunov’s effort in the 65th minute, and Ramil Sheydaev then levelled 13 minutes from time. The Republic of Ireland were held to a 2-2 draw with Russia in their under-21 friendly in Marbella, Spain. Ireland took a fifth-minute lead through Brighton’s Glen Rea at the Marbella Football Center. Shelbourne’s Dylan Connolly scored Ireland’s second after 47 minutes, but Russia responded. center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

2-year-old seriously injured after falling out of 3rd-story window

first_imgA two-year-old was left with serious injuries after the child reportedly fell out of an open third-story window.The incident occurred at an apartment complex in the 20500 block of Northwest 17th Avenue in Miami Gardens.According to the child’s mother, the window was open because the building lost power.The child was taken to Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital in Hollywood where their current condition is unknown at this time. Authorities did, however, report that the child was alert when they arrived at the initial scene.last_img read more