Hamilton retires as Vettel wins SINGAPORE (CMC): Leader Lewis Hamilton retired for the first time this year as Sebastian Vettel sped to victory in the Singapore Grand Prix yesterday. He suffered a loss of power while running fourth, before dropping down the field and was told to retire. Hamilton’s championship lead was cut to 41 points by his Mercedes team-mate Nico Rosberg who finished fourth. Hamilton, whose paternal grandparents hail from Grenada, and Rosberg ran fifth and sixth in the opening stint, unable to keep up with the Ferraris and Red Bulls ahead. Vettel took his third win of the year in dominant style, controlling the race from start to finish as two safety cars led to hectic action behind. ‘Too much too early for Holder’ PORT-OF-SPAIN, Trinidad (CMC): Former West Indies Test opener Philo Wallace has disagreed with the decision to appoint Jason Holder Test captain and believes the responsibility will prove too much of a burden for the young player. Wallace said Holder had displayed leadership potential but warned that the new responsibility was a premature move by selectors. “Jason has shown good leadership qualities so far but I think to put him as Test captain at the age of 23 is just not right,” the Trinidad Guardian quoted Wallace as saying on the CRICKET360 show here. “Jason has a tremendous amount to offer West Indies cricket but we must be careful that we don’t push him too soon, which I think is what is happening here.” Holder will lead the Test squad for the first time when they travel to face Sri Lanka in two Tests starting next month. Richards gives Holder thumbs up ST JOHN’S, Antigua (CMC): Iconic former West Indies captain Sir Vivian Richards has hailed Jason Holder’s elevation to the Test captaincy and says it will be crucially important the 23-year-old gets the respect of his squad. And the former master batsman also rejected the idea that Holder was too young and inexperienced to carry the responsibility of the position. “Well, I have heard maybe that some folks are suggesting that he is too young, but it is better to start at that particular age,” said Sir Viv, who never lost a series as Test captain. “And if he gets lucky enough and we are successful, you have a long successful period of your captain being in place rather than the chopping and changing on a regular basis.” He added: “I believe that this individual does have the ability. Certainly, he comes over very well and you hear about the respect factor you get from other members of the dressing room and that is of vital importance because when you have that respect, it is amazing.”
The Central Housing and Planning Authority (CH&PA) issued a cease work notice to the Guyana Tractor and Equipment Company to terminate an unauthorised construction project that is taking place on Government reserve at Plot HN Industrial Reserve, Plantation Ruimveldt, Georgetown.The order was issued to proprietor of the equipment company, Shamnarine Narine, to cease all activities (development/construction work) with immediate effect under the Town and Country Planning Act, Chapter 20:01 of the laws of Guyana.According to the CH&PA, Narine on April 30, 2018, submitted an application to the CH&PA for full approval of planning permission to erect a two-storeyed building (25’ – 0 x 55’ -0) for commercial use as a convenience store on the ground floor and offices on the first floor and to install four fuel pumps and three underground tanks for Kerosene, Gasoline and Diesoline for use as a petrol station.On May 11, 2018, the Convenience Store and offices were recommended for approval on condition that the developer amended plans in accordance with recommendations from the Public Infrastructure Ministry indicating no access from Mandela Avenue.The CH&PA later disapproved the application after they detected that the site is not suitable for such development. Even though the approval was not given, the contractor continued construction works on the site.The disapproval of the application came after residents of the Shirley Field-Ridley Square, South Ruimveldt, in a petition to the agency rejected the construction of the gas station and the convenience store and offices and also since it cannot be accessed from Mandela Avenue, which is the main thoroughfare.The notice was signed for and received by an excavator operator, who is employed by Narine and working on the site.Additionally, the proposed means of access (Plumbaggo Street and the roadway) are minor streets that cannot serve as means of ingress and egress since they are not suitable and inappropriate, the CH&PA said on Saturday.Further, according to the agency, it is concerned with the destruction that was caused to the road and road shoulders by heavy-duty equipment used by Narine to drive piles into the ground.