Stabroek Market vendors “going back to old ways”

first_img… action will be taken to rectify this – KingEven though a ban was placed on vendors to stop plying their trade in the vicinity of the Stabroek Market Square, persons have not been complying with this rule, especially at nights.Thisis according to Mayor of Georgetown, Patricia Chase Green, who was supported by Town Clerk Royston King on Monday at a statutory meeting held at City Hall.Town Clerk Royston KingKing asserted that strategic action will be taken against persons who have been continuously disobeying the order by the Mayor and City Council (M&CC).“We have observed that there is a creeping return of vendors, particularly in the nights, just at the Stabroek Market square, we are on to it and we are working out strategies to deal with that particular situation,” King said at the meeting.In April, the Mayor and City Council opted to have the entire Stabroek Square cleared of vendors, leading to their (vendors) relocation. Though, this decision displeased many, the M&CC upheld their pronouncement.The vendors were relocated to the vicinity now known as “The Parliament View Mall”, where tents and other water and washroom facilities were provided. This move, according to the Town Clerk, is temporary – for a period of three months – giving the Council time to set up a permanent location to facilitate the vendors.While the time allocated for occupation to the M&CC by the owner of the land, was only three months starting from April and concluding in the July, King mentioned in a previous meeting sometime last month, that there is an expectation of an extension of an additional three months to be given.However, after this announcement was made by King, Haresh Narine Sugrim, the owner of the plot of land, took to the media to make it clear that he has no intentions of granting the M&CC any extension to use the land after the initial three-month peroid expires.King has made no comment on the rebuttal made by Sugrim.last_img read more

Senegal’s Keita Balde returns to Italy with ambitious Inter

first_img0Shares0000Balde played in Senegal’s loss to Colombia which saw them knocked out in the group stage at the World Cup © AFP/File / EMMANUEL DUNANDROME, Italy, Aug 13 – Inter Milan on Monday continued their strong summer transfer window ahead of the start of the Serie A season, announcing the return to Italy of Senegal international Keita Balde on loan from French Ligue 1 side Monaco.Ambitious Inter, who have been busy in the transfer market after finishing fourth in Serie A last season and qualifying for the Champions League for the first time since 2011, have brought in the 23-year-old former Lazio striker for a reported initial five million euros ($5.7 million). The fee will rise to 39 million euros should the Serie A club exercise an option to buy next summer, according to Italian media.“The forward Keita Balde Diao is a new Nerazzurri player. The Senegalese has signed for Inter from Monaco on a year-long loan with an option to make the deal permanent,” Inter said in a statement.Balde rose to prominence at Lazio in 2016-17, when he scored 16 goals in 31 league appearances — 10 of which were from the bench — before sinking into a contract row at the start of last season and leaving for France.Last term he scored eight goals and provided five assists in 23 Ligue 1 appearances as Monaco finished second behind champions Paris Saint-Germain.Balde joins fellow Inter newcomers Radja Nainggolan, signed from rivals Roma, promising Argentine attacker Lautaro Martinez and Dutch international centre-back Stefan de Vrij.They have also brought in right-back Sime Vrsaljko, who started in six of Croatia’s seven matches in their run to the World Cup final, on loan from Atletico Madrid.0Shares0000(Visited 3 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more