Japanese firms abandon plans for 2GW coal plant near Tokyo

first_imgJapanese firms abandon plans for 2GW coal plant near Tokyo FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Reuters:Japan’s Idemitsu Kosan, Kyushu Electric Power and Tokyo Gas said on Thursday they have given up their plan to build a 2 gigawatt (GW) coal-fired power station in Chiba, near Tokyo, as it would not be economically feasible.The move follows a similar decision by Chugoku Electric Power and JFE Steel, a unit of JFE Holdings last month, and comes amid growing pressure in most of the world for companies to divest coal assets due to environmental concerns.Burning coal to generate power produces large quantities of carbon dioxide and other so-called greenhouse gases responsible for climate change. An international agreement reached in Paris in 2015 committed signatories to cutting fossil fuel use.Kyushu Electric and Tokyo Gas said instead they will consider building a gas-fired power plant, using liquefied natural gas (LNG), at the same site owned by Idemitsu.Amid growing pressure, Japan’s trading house Marubeni Corp said last year that it would no longer start new coal-fired power plant projects and would halve its net coal power generating capacity of about 3 GW by 2030 to help cut greenhouse gas emissions and tackle global climate change.More: Japan’s Idemitsu, Kyushu Elec, Tokyo Gas scrap coal-fired power plant planlast_img read more

‘ACTIVISM NOT A CRIME’ Iloilo groups brace for raids, arrests

first_imgBurgos-Villavert also issued thesearch warrants that led to the arrest of Gabriela Metro Manila spokespersonCora Agovida and her husband Kadamay Metro Manila campaign officer Mickael TanBartolome in Manila earlier the same day. “(President Rodrigo) Duterte isintolerant of dissent,” said Elmer Forro, secretary-general of Bagong AlyansangMakabayan (Bayan) Panay. “Truly, the real horrors and monstersof today come in uniform, expensive barongs,and suit and ties that perpetrate State terrorism in surreptitious anddeceptive ways,” said Karapatan vice chairperson Reylan Vergara. Peasant leaders, trade unionists,human rights defenders, cultural workers, a community journalist, women’srights activists as well minors were among the individuals arrested in BacolodCity (57) and Manila (two) during raids of the regional offices of Bayan Muna,Karapatan, Gabriela, the National Federation of Sugar Workers as well as theresidences of activists and mass leaders. By challenging government policiesdeemed inimical, activists were espousing people’s welfare and defending humanrights, said Forro. These were nothing new, he said, “butthe mass arrest of 59 individuals in one day of terror is as an alarming signof the government’s intensifying efforts to crackdown on its critics.” Supposedly seized by the CriminalInvestigation and Detection Group from the raids were “assorted short caliberfirearms, sub-machine guns, machine guns, live ammunitions, hand grenades,bladed weapons, Kilusang Mayo Uno flags, megaphones, microphones, andvoluminous subversive documents” according to National Task Force to End LocalCommunist Armed Conflict communications chief Martin Andanar. ILOILO City – Members of Iloiloprogressive groups staged a picket in front of the Police Regional Office 6 inFort San Pedro here yesterday to protest Thursday’s raids on their BacolodCity-based counterparts. They demanded the release of 57 arrested activists.center_img Activism is not a crime, he stressed. Activists in Iloilo City demand the release of 57 colleagues in Bacolod City arrested in a raid on the eve of All Saints’ Day. Do policemen plan to arrest activists in Iloilo City, too? IAN PAUL CORDERO/PN For its part, human rights groupKarapatan decried the coordinated raids and mass arrests conducted by thePhilippine National Police and Philippine Army on Oct. 31. The evidenceallegedly gathered from the raids were planted, and were mere “Halloween dirtytricks” by a regime to discredit and silence critics, it asserted. The Karapatan official also questionedthe search warrant issued by Executive Judge Cecilyn Burgos-Villavert of theQuezon City Regional Trial Court Branch 89 “whose jurisdiction does not evenfall on a city hundreds of miles away from Quezon City.” “Andanar must be delusional to evenput supposedly seized illegal firearms and explosives side by side with KMUflags, megaphones, microphones, and ‘subversive’ documents as evidence of theirconnections to the Communist Party of the Philippines and the New People’sArmy. They’re now also desperately and illegally confiscating activists’equipment as proof because they know that the firearms they ‘recovered’ fromthe offices are shamelessly planted,” Vergara said. “Andanar wants to give the impressionthat the arbitrary arrests were lawful simply by virtue of showing a searchwarrant. However, the questionable source of the said warrant is hidden fromthe public, conveniently removed from their press releases,” Vergaraexplained./PNlast_img read more

PSL: F2 Logistics blanks Generika-Ayala for 2-0 card

first_img‘High crimes and misdemeanors’: Trump impeachment trial begins Trump assembles a made-for-TV impeachment defense team Fresh from its stint in Thailand, F2 Logistics humbled Generika-Ayala, 25-20, 25-16, 25-20, to take the top spot in Pool A of the Philippine Superliga Invitational Conference Thursday at Filoil Flying V Centre.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Putin’s, Xi’s ruler-for-life moves pose challenges to West Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil The Cargo Movers, who reached the semifinals of the Sealect Tuna Invitational Championship, improved to a 2-0 card and are half-a-game above the 2-1 Life Savers in Pool A.“Our trip to Thailand was a huge boost to the confidence of the players,” said F2 head coach Ramil De Jesus.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone still willing to coach Gilas but admits decision won’t be ‘simple yes or no’“Even if we did not win our semifinals game there, the great level of competition and the system of the Thai teams are what I want my players to adapt.”Ara Galang, who only played in the first and third sets, let the Cargo Movers with nine points while Cha Cruz-Behag and Mary Joy Baron had seven points apiece. Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water recedingcenter_img View comments In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ Palace OKs total deployment ban on Kuwait OFWs Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Joshua lines up Wembley for fights in September and April LATEST STORIES Patty Orendain had nine points for the Life Savers.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Report: Disney dropping the ‘Fox’ from movie studio nameslast_img read more

OUTRAGE AT MURDER OF GARDA DETECTIVE

first_imgDONEGAL TD  and SF Justice spokesman Padraig Mac Lochlainn has condemned last night’s brutal murder of a Garda detective.The fatal shooting happened at around 9.30pm at the Lordship Credit Union in Bellurgan, Jenkinstown in Dundalk.The Garda Adrian Donohoe was one of two detectives on escort duty when the shooting occurred. It is believed four armed men were waiting outside to rob the credit union and moved to hold up staff at gunpoint as they were leaving work.One of the two detectives approached the raiders and was shot dead.His colleague has been severely traumatised but is otherwise unhurt.The raiders fled the scene in what is believed to have been a dark-coloured car. Reacting to the news, Sinn Féin Justice spokesperson, Pádraig Mac Lochlainn said: “This is a yet another tragic reminder of the immense risks our Gardaí take every day to protect our communities.“We can only hope that those responsible are speedily brought to justice.“My thoughts and prayers are with the deceased Garda’s family and colleagues at this very difficult time.”A Garda spokesman said: “It is with profound sadness that we announce the death of Detective Garda Adrian Donohoe attached to the Detective Unit in Dundalk.“Detective Garda Donohoe was fatally injured following a shooting incident at the Lordship Credit Union at Bellurgan, Jenkinstown, Dundalk, Co Louth at approximately 9.30pm last night (25/1/13). “Following the death of Detective Garda Adrian Donohoe Garda Commissioner Martin Callinan speaking at Garda Headquarters this morning said: ‘I am deeply saddened to hear of the death of my colleague Detective Garda Adrian Donohoe. Detective Garda Donohoe died as a result of injuries sustained in the course of his duty following a shooting incident in Dundalk last night.“At this time my thoughts and prayers and those of the entire force are with the family, friends and close colleagues of Adrian.”GRA President John Parker said: “This dreadful news is what every police family fears. At this time the wider garda family will be doing everything possible to support the late garda’s relatives and loved ones, friends and colleagues. There is a deep shock across An Garda Síochána – and Irish society.“This heinous crime highlights the dangers gardaí face in the course of their duties and must be rightly condemned. We urge anyone who has any information, however small it may seem, to contact gardaí in Dundalk or the confidential Crimestoppers line 1800 25 00 25.” OUTRAGE AT MURDER OF GARDA DETECTIVE was last modified: January 26th, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:OUTRAGE AT MURDER OF GARDA DETECTIVElast_img read more