Courtney Brosnan’s career day leads Syracuse women’s soccer to shocking tie with No. 2 Florida State

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ Courtney Brosnan frantically jumped up and down, shouting “clear the ball already” to her teammates. Only one minute remained in overtime against Florida State. Brosnan had already faced 27 shots from FSU, eight of which came in overtime.But instead of displaying exhaustion, she appeared animated and lively.Defender Maddie Iozzi complied with Brosnan’s demand and booted the ball to the other end of the field. FSU’s final assault on the Orange was terminated.When the horn sounded, Brosnan leapt into the air as her teammates mobbed her. Her intense demeanor throughout the game changed as a huge smile crept across her face.Brosnan compiled a career-high 15 saves in the best performance of her career. It even reminded Syracuse head coach Phil Wheddon of Tim Howard’s performance against Belgium in the 2014 FIFA World Cup for the United States. Brosnan was nearly unbeatable, letting up just one goal in the game. It was the second-most saves in a game in program history.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textSyracuse (7-5-3, 0-4-2 Atlantic Coast) faced an attacking onslaught from No. 2 Florida State (9-2-2, 3-1-2) throughout the game. Most of it was spent in the Orange’s half — save for a few counterattacks — as SU essentially parked the bus on defense, keeping all but one player in the defensive end except on counterattacks. FSU outshot the Orange 27-9 on the day, but Brosnan held the Seminoles to one goal en route to a shocking 1-1 tie.Florida State was coming off a 2-1 upset by Boston College three days earlier.“She’s been amazing for us all year,” Wheddon said. “But for her to come up big like that — especially when she’s injured — is a massive boost for us.”Jacob Greenfeld | Asst. Photo Editor Ironically in her career-best performance, Brosnan was a game-time decision after separating her shoulder Thursday against Virginia Tech.She didn’t train on Friday or Saturday. The first action she received since Thursday, according to Wheddon, was a little handling practice Saturday morning.“Since Virginia Tech, I’ve been taking care of it and icing it as much as possible,” Brosnan said. “I came out in the warm up and I just knew I was ready to play. Pain is relative but it obviously hurt throughout.”Coming into Saturday’s game, Syracuse had scored only one goal in its last four games. It took just 59 seconds for the Orange to erase that trend.Alex Lamontagne received a crisp pass from Stephanie Skilton shortly after kickoff. Despite being 30 yards away from goal, Lamontagne curved the ball high over FSU goalie Cassie Miller and into the net.But Florida State then controlled possession and relentlessly pressed forward. In the fifth minute, midfielder Megan Connolly laid a perfect cross to fellow sophomore Kaycie Tillman. Tillman booted it past Brosnan but the referee immediately ruled she was offside.Yet it seemed inevitable that one of the Seminoles’ overwhelming number of chances would succeed. Finally, in the 25th minute, Connolly pushed on a counterattack following an Eva Gordon turnover. She passed it to midfielder Elin Jensen, who settled the ball, dribbled it to her left, and rocketed it over Brosnan to tie the game up.That was the only time Florida State beat Brosnan, though.The rest of the game consisted of the same. There were repeated and relentless Seminoles attacks against the Syracuse defense. Once in a while, Syracuse conjured powerful counterattacks and got opportunities on net, but they were few and far between.“That kinda wasn’t the strategy,” Jessica Vigna said with a laugh, regarding the prospect of the team parking the bus. “But it got difficult, so especially in the second half so we were just like OK, let’s survive until the end.”“It depended on which end we were going to defend first in overtime,” Wheddon said. “We had the wind in our face for the first overtime so we just tried to weather the storm on defense, and we knew we could catch them on the counter.”Despite dropping most of its team in front of the net, Syracuse still allowed a barrage of shots Brosnan’s way.In the second overtime, Brosnan slid to her knees to knock away a one-on-one shot from Tillman with her hands. Taylor Hallmon collected the rebound, but Brosnan dove to stop another potential game-winning shot.Wheddon’s stock answer describing Brosnan’s performances this season has been that she’s one of the best goalkeepers in the ACC.He has said it at least four times now.But her outing Sunday wasn’t just another good performance. It was her best. Commentscenter_img Published on October 9, 2016 at 8:02 pm Contact Byron: brtollef@syr.edulast_img read more

‘Everything clouds over and goes dark’ – Iniesta on depression at Barcelona

first_imgIniesta began having sessions with psychologist Inma Puig, who said the Spaniard’s recovery owed much to those around him, including Guardiola.“Guardiola said this is the first time I’ve been in this situation as a coach,” said Puig. “I remember he said, ‘the most important thing now is Andres, the person not the player’.”“They’re people and this is a very human thing which affects millions of people around the world,” said Guardiola. “They have to know we are there for them.”“Guardiola tried to get him out of that bottomless pit he was in,” said Iniesta’s mother Maria.Iniesta came through Barcelona’s La Masia academy and went on to win nine La Liga titles and four Champions Leagues with the club.He also lifted the World Cup with Spain in 2010, after scoring the winning goal against the Netherlands in the final.Despite receiving a hero’s farewell from Barca, Iniesta hinted his relationship with the board influenced his decision to go to Japan.“People at the club never imagined I could leave,” Iniesta said. “It’s like everything, in relationships if you don’t discuss things at the right time there comes a time when there’s no way back.”Share on: WhatsApp Iniesta left Barcelona in 2018 after winning nine La Liga and four Champions League titles with the clubMadrid, Spain | AFP | Andres Iniesta has described his struggle with depression while playing for Barcelona, which his mother says was a “bottomless pit” that caused her 25-year-old son to ask to sleep with his parents.Iniesta recalls his experience with the illness in a Rakuten TV documentary, ‘Andres Iniesta – The Unexpected Hero’, which was released on Thursday and covers his move to Japanese side Vissel Kobe in 2018.After winning the Champions League under Pep Guardiola in 2009, Iniesta was battling injury and then hit by the death of his friend Dani Jarque, the 26-year-old Espanyol defender who suffered a heart attack.“The days pass and you realise you’re not improving, you don’t feel good, you’re not yourself. Everything clouds over and goes dark,” Iniesta said.On Jarque’s death, Iniesta added: “That was like a body blow, something powerful that knocked me down again and I was pretty low, clearly because I wasn’t very well.”Iniesta’s depression is described by those closest to him, including his mother Maria Lujan and father Jose Antonio.“I noticed he wasn’t well one night when we were sleeping downstairs and he came down and said, ‘mum can I sleep here with you?’” Maria said. “Then the world came down on my head.”Jose Antonio said: “Our 25 year-old son coming down at midnight and wanting to sleep with his parents means he can’t be well. He said, ‘I’m not well dad’. I said, ‘what’s wrong?’ ‘I don’t know, I don’t feel well.’”Iniesta’s father admitted he thought his son might have to take a break from football. “At one stage I thought he would have to stop because the most important thing was him,” said Jose Antonio.last_img read more

Armed security escort teams following investigation

first_imgPITTSBURGH (AP) — Armed police officers have been escorting a western Pennsylvania high school’s sports teams to games at another school following allegations that its own soccer team used racial slurs during a game last month. School police officers traveled with Connellsville Area High School athletic teams to away games at Penn Hills High School this week.The Western Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic League investigated after Penn Hills officials said Connellsville soccer players used slurs during a Sept. 6 game.Officials concluded that allegations made by Penn Hills officials were “reasonably credible,” but they were not certain to have occurred.Penn Hills Superintendent Nancy Hines said Connellsville’s decision to bring armed security was “culturally insensitive” and asked league officials to discourage the other school from doing it.She wrote in a letter to district employees that Connellsville brought the guards to games at least three times in the past week, but never before.She said they positioned themselves near the Connellsville teams’ benches and escorted players to the bathrooms and locker rooms.Spectators were not allowed at a boys’ soccer game Monday.Connellsville Area School District Superintendent Joseph Bradley described the practice of bringing school officers to “appropriate away events” as standard practice. He said school police officers attend all home games, all playoff games and other games that involve rivalries or large crowds.Connellsville is a predominantly white school; Penn Hills has a high percentage of black students.The league has directed Connellsville Area School District student athletes to participate in racial and cultural sensitivity training.Following reports that Connellsville students, fans and players used racial slurs during the Sept. 6 soccer game, Penn Hills officials halted all games with Connellsville and sought a league investigation.The league concluded late last month that although it was not certain that slurs were used by players, the Penn Hills’ players were credible. The league determined that it was “likely that at least some racial slurs or racially insensitive comments were directed to a Penn Hills player or players.”After the investigation, Penn Hills announced it would resume playing teams from Connellsville. (Courier File Photo)last_img read more

Tokyo 2020 Olympics Deputy Head tests positive for Coronavirus

first_imgAdvertisement xj3NBA Finals | Brooklyn Vsatr91Wingsuit rodeo📽Sindre E1( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) 7zsg003Would you ever consider trying this?😱9xoi7nuCan your students do this? 🌚3ziRoller skating! Powered by Firework Kozo Tashima, the deputy chief of Japan’s Olympic Committee on Tuesday confirmed that he had contracted coronavirus. The news comes amidst the growing doubts over whether the Tokyo 2020 Games can go ahead according to its schedule because of the ongoing pandemic. However, the Japanese officials still insist that the event will take place in July-August despite the speculation that the quadrennial tournament might get postponed or even cancelled due to the outbreak of Covid-19.Advertisement “Today, my test result showed positive for the new coronavirus. I have a mild fever. Examinations showed a symptom of pneumonia, but I’m fine. I will concentrate on treatment following doctors’ advice,” said Tashima in a statement released by the Japan Football Association.Advertisement The 62-year-old said that he had been on a business trip since the last week of February, attending the annual general meeting of the International Football Association Board (IFAB) in Ireland, followed by a trip to Amsterdam on March 2nd for a UEFA meeting.“In Amsterdam and in Europe in early March, the level of nervousness against the novel coronavirus was not the same as now. Everyone was still doing hugs, handshakes and bises (cheek kissing)” he said in the statement.Advertisement Tashima then departed for the United States to watch the Japanese women’s football team participate in the SheBelieves Cup and also to lobby for the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023, before returning home on March 8.“In the United States, too, the sense of crisis about the novel coronavirus was not as serious as now,” he said.While the Japanese FA staffs have been working from home since the outbreak, Tashima said that he visited the association premises several times last week and attended meetings. On Sunday, the former footballer experienced a mild fever along with chills and reported to a local public health centre on Monday where he told them about his travel history. His positive result came out on Tuesday.“I have chosen to face the illness as so many people are doing in Japan and around the world,” he added.The announcement of his illness came as a big blow to the organising committee who declared that the Olympic torch relay and the subsequent celebrations will be toned down to prevent further spread of the virus.Meanwhile, the flame has already been lit in Greece, and is expected to arrive in northern Japan on Friday.You may also like:Read why the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games could be postponed to the end of the year!Rumour killer: Cristiano Ronaldo HAS NOT turned his hotels into free for all hospitals in light of Coronavirus! Advertisementlast_img read more

Robin Uthappa reveals who the next MS Dhoni is

first_imgImage Courtesy: Reuters/BCCIAdvertisement 5zsvgmcNBA Finals | Brooklyn VsvdxhWingsuit rodeo📽Sindre E509( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) xfkWould you ever consider trying this?😱o8od84dCan your students do this? 🌚14dl3hRoller skating! Powered by Firework The Indian cricket team has seen some of the most iconic and unique cricketers who graced the Sky Blue jersey, and from young to old, fans of all ages agree to the fact that Mahendra Singh Dhoni has been one of the greatest cricketers from the country. Now in the twilight of his career and an uncertain future with the Indian team, the veteran wicket keeper batsman’s place in the squad won’t be easy to fill in, or would it? Veteran batsman Robin Uthappa names the next Dhoni of the team: the young and energetic Riyan Parag!Advertisement Image Courtesy: Reuters/BCCIThe son of former domestic cricketer Parag Das, who played for the Assam cricket team, Riyan Parag had the chance of meeting Dhoni when he was only a kid. Now, an 18 year old batsman for Assam and Rajasthan Royals in the Indian Premier League, the teenager has been hailed by Robin Uthappa to walk in the shoes of India’s former captain.Uthappa recently joined in an online session with Cricfit, where the 34 year old batsman put forward Parag’s name as a future star for India.Advertisement Riyan Parag playing for Rajasthan Royals. (Image Courtesy: PTI)“Currently, the young player which excites me out of my socks in Riyan Parag. I am extremely excited and he is the one to watch out for,”the 34 year old said.Bought by RR for IPL 2020, Uthappa sparks hope for his young teammate, who has played 7 matches for the franchise, scoring 160 runs. He also became the youngest cricketer to score a half century in IPL 2019, at an age of age of 17 years and 175 days, beaking the joint record of Sanju Samson and Prithvi Shaw.Advertisement Uthappa continued, “I think he is someone who is looked after well and dealt well and nurtured well and will represent India for a very long time.”“He could be India’s answer to the next MS Dhoni,” the veteran batsman added.Hailing from Guwahati, Parag has made 13 first class appearances, and was a member of the Indian Team at the 2018 Under-19 Cricket World Cup.If you like reading about MMA, make sure you check out MMAIndia.com Also follow India’s biggest arm wrestling tournament at ProPanja.comAlso read-Sakshi posts then deletes tweet clarifying MS Dhoni retirementSports India Exclusive with Anthony Amalraj: Use hypnotherapy to train my mind to react in pressure situations! Advertisementlast_img read more