To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
The number of coronavirus cases worldwide topped six million Sunday, with Brazil registering another record surge in daily infections as divisions deepened on how to deal with the pandemic.Latin American countries are bracing for difficult weeks ahead as the disease spreads rapidly across the region, even as much of the world exits lockdowns that have wrecked economies and stripped millions of their jobs. In Brazil — the epicenter of South America’s outbreak with nearly 500,000 confirmed cases, lagging only behind the United States — disagreement among leaders over lockdown measures has hampered efforts to slow the virus as the number of fatalities in the country nears 30,000. President Jair Bolsonaro, who fears the economic fallout from stay-at-home measures will be worse than the virus, has berated governors and mayors for imposing what he calls “the tyranny of total quarantine”. As the global death toll from the pandemic surpassed 368,000, US President Donald Trump’s decision to permanently cut funding to the World Health Organization has been broadly criticised.The number of confirmed cases worldwide is more than six million, according to an AFP tally.”Now is the time for enhanced cooperation and common solutions,” the European Union said in a statement, adding: “Actions that weaken international results must be avoided.” Topics : Trump initially suspended funding to the WHO last month, accusing it of not doing enough to curb the early spread of the virus and being too lenient with China, where COVID-19 emerged late last year.On Friday he moved to make that decision permanent in a major blow to the agency. The US is the WHO’s biggest contributor, supplying $400 million last year.German Health Minister Jens Spahn said the “disappointing” decision was a setback for global health, while Chancellor Angela Merkel declined to attend an in-person G7 summit that Trump had suggested he would host.Richard Horton, editor of The Lancet medical journal, said it was “madness and terrifying both at the same time”.Lockdowns easeAs the virus progresses at different speeds around the globe, there has been pressure in many countries to lift crippling lockdowns, despite experts’ warnings of a possible second wave of infections.In Britain, which is set to begin lifting its lockdown on Monday, senior advisors to the government warned that it was moving too quickly. “COVID-19 spreading too fast to lift lockdown in England,” tweeted Jeremy Farrar, a member of the government’s Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies. India said Saturday it would begin relaxing the world’s biggest lockdown in stages from early June, even as it marked another record daily rise in infections.Iran meanwhile announced that collective prayers would resume in mosques, despite infections ticking back upwards in the Middle East’s hardest-hit country.Jerusalem’s Al-Aqsa mosque compound — the third-holiest site in Islam after Mecca and Medina in Saudi Arabia — reopened to worshippers on Sunday. With infection numbers falling in many of Europe’s most affected countries, the push to restart economies was gaining steam.Italy’s Leaning Tower of Pisa reopened on Saturday, while in Paris, parks and the famed Galeries Lafayette department store flung open their doors.In Austria, hotels and cinemas were allowed to take in customers, provided they wear masks.”It is very important that things return to normal,” film buff Rotraud Turanitz said at Vienna’s historic Admiral Kino cinema on trendy Burggasse.Across the Atlantic, the US capital Washington resumed outdoor dining, while on the West Coast, restaurants and hair salons in Los Angeles reopened. New York City, the worst-hit American city with about 21,500 coronavirus deaths, is on track to begin reopening the week of June 8. The overall US death toll has topped 103,000 out of more than 1.7 million cases of the virus. Global sport has also started to rev back into action, with Austria announcing it will host Formula One’s delayed season-opener on July 5, and the NBA eyeing a July 31 return.Britain approved the return of domestic competitive sport on June 1 — with no fans present — while South Africa has given a provisional green light for training to resume.Economies shatteredBut the economic damage from weeks of lockdowns continues to pile up, with Chile and Peru securing credit lines worth billions from the IMF.India’s economy grew at its slowest pace in two decades in the first quarter, while Canada, Brazil, France and Italy also saw their GDP figures shrink ahead of an expected worldwide recession.As the virus hits the world’s poor particularly hard, Pope Francis called for a “more just and equitable society” in the post-coronavirus world and for people to act to “end the pandemic of poverty”.Even the animal world has not been left untouched by the pandemic.Gibraltar has banned tourists from touching the British enclave’s famous Barbary macaques over fears they could spread coronavirus.Singapore’s beloved otters meanwhile have been popping up in unexpected places during the city-state’s lockdown, but their increasingly daring antics have angered some and even sparked calls for a cull.”I simply don’t understand anyone who could not like them. They are really cute,” said 35-year-old Singaporean Pam Wong.
Kick back and gaze out on the city with a glass of wine.“We love the view from the deck,” Mr Higgins said.“We like to sit back with a glass of wine, looking straight at the city.”Mr Higgins said the indoor-outdoor flow enabled easy entertaining.“We really wanted the kitchen to flow and connect with the external deck area,” he said.“The layout has been fantastic for entertaining when we have people over for things like Riverfire.” There is an in-built barbecue, sink and wine fridge on the balcony.At the rear of the second floor is an open-plan living, kitchen and dining area, which flows out to the back deck.This area has an in-built barbecue, sink and wine fridge, and is Mr Higgins’ favourite space at the property. At the rear of the home is a plunge pool.More from newsFor under $10m you can buy a luxurious home with a two-lane bowling alley5 Apr 2017Military and railway history come together on bush block24 Apr 2019The residence includes a small part of the original cottage at the front of the property, before opening up to a large extension, both upstairs and down.There are two bedrooms on each floor, with a garage, bathroom, laundry and family room also downstairs.Upstairs is the main bedroom, and its ensuite which has a double vanity. The house at 33 Lever St, Albion, is for sale.THE ever evolving Albion has been the ideal place for Hunter and Sally Higgins to build their perfect family home.Mr Higgins said the recent boom in the suburb’s cafe culture and the upcoming train station upgrade made it an up and coming suburb. The front of the house has the original cottage from the block.“Albion, I believe, is the next big growth precinct,” Mr Higgins said.“It has evolved with all the restaurants, coffee shops and microbreweries, and it’s only 4km from the city.“There’s a lot to happen in Albion in the near future.”With the added advantage of being in the prestigious Ascot State School catchment, it would be hard to beat the location of the house in the quiet Lever St. An indoor-outdoor flow was an important part of the home’s design.Video Player is loading.Play VideoPlayNext playlist itemMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 0:51Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -0:51 Playback Rate1xChaptersChaptersDescriptionsdescriptions off, selectedCaptionscaptions settings, opens captions settings dialogcaptions off, selectedQuality Levels720p720pHD576p576p432p432p270p270pAutoA, selectedAudio Tracken (Main), selectedFullscreenThis is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window.This is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.Close Modal DialogThis is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.PlayMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 0:00Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -0:00 Playback Rate1xFullscreenStarting your hunt for a dream home00:51
In the Under 10 Boys event final, Emmanuel Ogbemi of Edo State defeated Bright David Monday of Jacob Esuene Sports Club by three sets to two with Udeme Esuene and Mitchel Ibanga Okon, both of the host club emerging joint third.Delight Temple of Jacob Esuene Sports Club won the Under 15 Girls category by winning all three straight sets against Edo State’s Osas Ogbemi. Both Emediong Usoro of the host club and Bayelsa State’s Victory Lucky came joint third.In the Under 15 Boys category, Monday Anthony of Delta State won 3-0 set to leave Harold Whyte of Bayelsa State as first runner-up, and both Treasure Temple of the host club and Edo State’s Timothy Albert were joint third placed winners.The Under 20 Male category produced Miracle Amadi of Charlie’s Club Port Harcourt as the champion beating Victor Effiong of 13 Brigade, Cross River State, while both Isaiah Friday and Junior Joseph placed third.In all, 10 clubs from the South-south region competed at the inaugural edition of the tournament. They include: Canaan Club Calabar, Uyo Club, Shell Club Port Harcourt, Port Harcourt Club, Benin Club and Police Officers’ Mess Squash Club Benin.Others are: Yenagoa Sports Club, NAK Club Calabar, NNPC Squash Club Warri and Government House Squash Asaba and the host club.In line with the rules of the World Squash Federation, the organisers upgraded participants who fell short of their desired category to the next age grade.To guarantee the safety and security of the children, there was a 24-hour police coverage at the hotel where they camped while nurses and first aiders were present at the tournament venue with a rapid response medical unit available overnight.Prizes included squash rackets, for all medal positions in the age grade.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram The President of the Nigerian Squash Federation, Boye Oyerinde and Akwa Ibom State Commissioner for Youth and Sports, Sir Monday Ebong Uko have commended the organisers of Jacob Esuene Sports Club Squash tournament for their commitment to the grooming of young squash talents.Oyerinde and Uko, who was represented by the acting Permanent Secretary in the Ministry, Lawrence Iquaibom, urged other organisations to emulate the example of Jacob Esuene Sports Club Squash section, Eket in developing the interest of young enthusiasts in the sport.At the end of the intensive three-day tournament, God’s Finger Temple of Jacob Esuene Sports Club beat Kelechi Onyekaozuru from Bayelsa State in the final of the Under 10 Girls competition, while Favour David Monday also of the host club picked the bronze medal. Boye Oyerinde
“I think he’s a much better fighter,” Conlan said. “A much tougher person for me. He’s a higher ranked guy. Vladimir is very raw as a professional, so he’s very careless and reckless. He would have been easier to tag. I know Ruiz is smarter, will bring a lot more pressure, a higher work rate and good shot selection.” A victory Saturday will put Conlan in line with his plan of securing a world title opportunity, and when that chance comes, the charismatic 27-year-old plans on making the most of it.”Within the next 12 months, I’ll be a world champion, 100 percent,” Conlan said. “I’ll take on anyone. There’s no certain guy in particular. If I get my opportunity, I will make sure I do it successfully and capture the gold. I feel like when I started boxing, my goal was to be the best. I think when the opportunity comes, I will not miss.” Fighters often talk about competing in their backyard, although it is often backyard-adjacent. For Conlan, that actually is the case as Falls Park is literally a stone’s throw from where he grew up. While he has tried to view this as just another fight, it’s impossible because it bears so much significance.”It does get more special each time I’m fighting at home,” Conlan told Sporting News. “It gets that way because the fights are getting bigger, and the opposition is getting harder. It’s an opportunity that I’ll always take because Belfast is my home city. You hear fighters always saying they love fighting in their own backyard. I’m literally a two-, three-minute walk from there. Where the venue is at, my mom and dad used to sit in the garden, and they can hear everything going on at the festival. I’ve had many fights there growing up.”I’m excited. Belfast holds a special place in my heart. And with this fight, it’s going to be more special. I’m within reach of a world title within the next 12 months. You have to look at this as another fight at another venue, but the venue is very close to my heart because I’ll never fight closer to home than this one coming up on Saturday.”Join DAZN and watch more than 100 fight nights a yearConlan (11-0, six KOs) was originally supposed lock horns with rival Vladimir Nitkin. The bout was going to be a rematch of their controversial affair in the 2016 Summer Olympics, where Nitkin won a controversial decision that few thought he earned. Instead, Nitkin bowed out because of a torn biceps. In stepped Ruiz. One would be expected to be disappointed considering how badly Conlan wanted to right the wrong from three years ago, but Conlan looked at the situation completely differently. “The first thing I said was, ‘I’m done. Let’s get another guy,'” Conlan said. “I didn’t dwell on it. I didn’t think about it. My mentality this whole training camp has been better than it’s ever been. I was prepared for anything. I prepared for the best Nitkin. I told my team that when Nitkin pulled out that I need a better guy. Yeah, the storyline with Nitkin was great, but I’m a lot more talented than he is. It was a backwards step, but it was the storyline that made it worthwhile. But now I’m focused on Diego Alberto Ruiz. I’ve been training harder than I’ve ever trained. I’m really happy with my camp. I’m excited for this opportunity to headline in Belfast because I feel like I’m going to show what I’m capable of.” Ruiz (21-2, 10 KOs) comes in having won 10 in a row. While the thought of facing Nitkin was fun for revenge purposes, Ruiz brings more to the table, which gets Conlan’s juices flowing as a competitor. Mick Conlan has only fought once in his hometown, Belfast, Northern Ireland, as a professional — a decision win over Adeilson Dos Santos in June 2018. This weekend, the “Conlan Revolution” is coming back to the Northern Ireland capital and the two-time Olympian is in the main event. He’ll take on Diego Alberto Ruiz at Falls Park as part of the annual Féile an Phobail summer festival where a crowd of about 10,000 people is expected.
According to the Reprezentacija.ba portal, today at 16:00 o’clock our time, the national football team, headed by Safet Sušić arrived in Sao Paolo.Dragons arrived in Brazil from Chicago with flight which lasted for more than ten hours.The atmosphere in the plane was fantastic, judging from the photos which players posted. Football Association of Bosnia and Herzegovina provided Susic and his team the highest business class flight from Chicago to Sao Paulo, so the time passed without any physical effort, as opposed to the one from Frankfurt to St. Louis ten days ago.Our representation will travel by bus from the “Aeroporto Internacional de São Paulo” Our team will to Gurauja where they will be greeted by the mayor of this city. In addition, they will be greeted by the delegation of NSBIH which arrived yesterday at the base of our team at Casa Grande Hotel. Road to Guaruja will last a little more than two hours.Due to unstable weather and rain in Guaruja there is a possibility that Safet Susic will postpone today’s training. (Source: Fena)