With the transfer market just days from opening it’s reported that Manchester City will move for Southampton’s Virgil Van Dijk. It’s expected that the 25 year old former Celtic defender would cost City around 60 million euro.Meanwhile, Joe Hart is being linked with Liverpool. The 29 year old Manchester City stopper is currently on loan at Torino so would not be available until next summer.
It’s one of a number of ideas put forward at their official launch in Dublin today.The CPA says changing the fixtures calendar is its key priority and they hope to be officially recognised by the GAA at next month’s Congress.
However Kilruane MacDonagh’s manager Liam O’ Shea says if they get a performance they could come out on top.The game throws in at 3.30 tomorrow, and is preceded by the meeting of Eire Óg Annacarthy and Mullinahone.The other two quarter finals, between Borrisoleigh and Loughmore Castleiney and Clonoulty Rossmore and Drom & Inch, take place on Sunday.The first of those gets underway at 6pm. Photo © Tipp FM Reigning champions Thurles Sarsfields take on Kilruane McDonagh’s in the County Senior Hurling quarter finals this weekend.Sars are aiming for four in a row this year.The teams already met each other in the group stages of the competition where Sars ran out winners.
The big game this afternoon sees Kilfeacle feature in the All Ireland Junior Cup final.Just one Munster team has previously won the cup.They face defending Champions Ashbourne at 2 pm in Portlaoise. © IRFU Meanwhile, in the Ulster Bank League Division 2,Nenagh play Galwegians away, and Cashel take on Highfield of Cork in Spafield Cashel.Both those games kick off at 2.30
Balele said that the decision to cancel the match contravened the Nigeria National League law that stipulated that teams be given two-week notice in advance before a game can be postponed. He said they were only notified of the postponement of the league 48-hours to the game.Balele vowed that Katsina who are in Group A 1, would defy the order by going to Gombe to play Gombe United in A 2 for the match even if there is nobody in the stadium.He said he could not approach Governor Aminu Masari for money again to honour a replay after tax payers’ money had already been released for the match.“My players are already in Abuja after leaving Katsina. We planned to sleep in Jos on our way to Gombe, and they are saying there is no match because the league is on hold. Why are they changing the rule? We have asked Katsina Government to provide us money to go to Gombe and can’t now go back and ask for another money because the match is cancelled. There will be a day of reckoning, “he raged.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram The Special Adviser on Sports to Katsina State Governor, Aminu Balele Kurfi, has joined issues with the Nigeria National League for putting off the league till May 28. The action resulted in the cancelling a scheduled fixture between Katsina United and Gombe United.Katsina United were already on transit in Abuja en-route Gombe, when they were told that the fixture billed for this Saturday had been put off.The short notice enraged Balele, who in a fit of anger described the decision as ‘unacceptable’.
The 26-year-old was provisionally suspended from competing at the Rio Olympics and replaced by Parveen Rana.However, India’s wrestling federation (WFI) will now try to reinstate Yadav.The WFI says it will write to the World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) and United World Wrestling (UWW) regarding the issue.“There is no fault or negligence on the athlete’s part and he is a victim of sabotage,” said Navin Agarwal, the National Anti-Doping Agency’s director-general.Yadav was picked over two-time Olympic medallist Sushil Kumar after he won India’s quota place with bronze at last year’s World Championships.“I want to thank everyone who supported me,” he said. “It’s a triumph for truth. Now I want to go to Rio and bring back a medal for India.”Indian shot put champion Inderjeet Singh also claimed he had failed a drugs test because of a “conspiracy” against him.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Indian wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s failed drugs test was a result of “sabotage”, according to a ruling by his country’s anti-doping disciplinary panel.He tested positive for banned substances but claimed his food was spiked with steroids by two fellow wrestlers and made a police complaint.
The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) has condemned Russian hackers for leaking confidential medical files of star US Olympic athletes.Athletes affected include tennis players Venus and Serena Williams and teenage gymnast Simone Biles.A group calling itself “Fancy Bears” claimed responsibility for the hack of a Wada database.After the leak, Ms Biles said she had long been taking medicine for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. The hacker group had accused her of taking an “illicit psycho-stimulant”, but she said she had “always followed the rules”.The Rio Olympics quadruple gold medallist had obtained the necessary permission to take prescription medicine on the WADA banned drugs list, USA Gymnastics said in a statement.Wada said in a statement that the cyber attacks were an attempt to undermine the global anti-doping system.Russian government spokesman Dmitry Peskov said it was “out of the question” that the Kremlin or secret services were involved in the hacking, Russian news agencies reported.The hackers accessed records detailing “Therapeutic Use Exemptions” (TUEs), which allow the use of banned substances due to athletes’ verified medical needs.“By virtue of the TUE, Biles has not broken any drug-testing regulations, including at the Olympic Games in Rio,” USA Gymnastics said.Fancy Bears said TUEs amount to “licences for doping”.The leaked documents allege that Serena Williams was granted permission to use drugs commonly used to treat muscle injuries, such as anti-inflammatories, while Biles is said to use Ritalin – a treatment for her ADHD.Former – Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority head Richard Ings said: “Nothing I see here gives me cause for alarm,” adding it looked “totally normal”.“The issue here is privacy breach.”Russia’s track and field team were banned from the Rio Olympics over an alleged state-backed doping programme. All of its athletes are barred from the ongoing Paralympics.“Let it be known that these criminal acts are greatly compromising the effort by the global anti-doping community to re-establish trust in Russia,” WADA Director-General, Olivier Niggli, said.This is the latest twist in what was already the biggest doping scandal in the history of sport, and further evidence of the bitter divisions it has sparked.The hack appears to be an act of revenge – retaliation for Wada’s damning report into Russian state-sponsored cheating.Although the Russian government has denied any involvement, it has always maintained that the country has been made a scapegoat for a much wider problem, and this will only add fuel to that fire.Although the athletes concerned have broken no rules, the revelations – along with the threat of more leaks of other competitors’ medical records – will inevitably exacerbate the controversy surrounding TUEs at a time when sport’s leaders are desperately trying to restore trust.Many athletes will now be nervously wondering if their private medical details records are the next to be made public.And with the future of WADA currently in the balance, the fact its security was so badly compromised will raise more questions over the entire anti-doping system, especially after the account of Russian whistleblower Yuliya Stepanova was hacked last month, leading to fears for her safety.US Anti-Doping Agency chief Travis Tygart called the hack “cowardly and despicable”.“In each of the situations, the athlete has done everything right in adhering to the global rules for obtaining permission to use a needed medication,” he said.The US Olympic Committee has had “zero adverse findings from the Rio Olympic Games that weren’t 100% within the medical guidelines set forth by anti-doping authorities,” spokesman Patrick Sandusky said.Earlier this month, Mr Niggli said WADA was experiencing almost daily cyber attacks originating from Russia.Fancy Bears, which is also known as Tsar Team (APT28), has pledged to release confidential records from other national Olympic teams.It’s an old adage in cybersecurity that the weakest point of any supposedly secure system is the people that use it.WADA says it believes this hack was made possible thanks to a successful spearphishing attack. Phishing is a term given to the technique of tricking a user into giving up crucial information – often by clicking a link that takes them to a malicious website disguised as a familiar one, such as the log-in page for a bank or social network.Spearphishing takes this one significant step further. While a phishing attack is often aimed at many people in the hope some will fall for it, spearphishing is highly targeted. Hackers perhaps identified a small number of people, or even just one person, and wrote a phishing attack specifically designed to trick them.Other than pushing a message of vigilance among staff, spearphishing is incredibly difficult to defend against. Attackers often scour the internet, looking for added information on the target that might make an email more believable. Sometimes even knowing a person’s favourite football team is enough to tip the balance in making a spearphishing email seem genuine.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram
Nico Rosberg took a stunning second practice session on Friday because pole position at the Singapore of a technical problem and struggling to get Grand Prix as Lewis Hamilton a good lap in before that.was demoted to third by Red First qualifying went better for Hamilton – he Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo. Hamil- was fourth quickest, 0.15secs quicker than ton was a massive 0.704 seconds slower than Rosberg but the German was faster in the Iheanacho congratulated by teammate John Stones after scoring against Bournemouth yesterdayRosberg after a difficult qualifying session, befitting what has been a troubled weekend throughout. Red Bull’s Max Verstappen took fourth ahead of Ferrari’s Kimi Raikkonen. The Finn’s team-mate Sebastian Vettel will start last after a technical problem as Jenson Button starts 13th. Rosberg’s was a remarkable performance – he has surely never been as superior to Hamilton when both have been gunning for pole.For his part, Hamilton has looked out of sorts all weekend, missing half of the second session, again on the first runs in the top 10 shoot-out and then he made a mistake on the entry to Turn One on his final lap.It was in some ways reminiscent of Hamil- ton’s weekend at the European Grand Prix in Baku in June, when he crashed out of qualifying and lined up 10th.However, it later emerged that his car may have had a problem – Mercedes’ data was showing it was producing less aerodynamic downforce than Rosberg’s, which would explain the lack of grip.RosbergAt least this time he starts close to the front, but unless Rosberg makes a poor start – a Mercedes weakness at times this season – Hamilton will find it difficult to beat his team-mate, whom he leads by two points in the championship.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram
Sharapova, ranked 146th after returning from a doping ban in April, was given a wildcard into the main draw.The 2006 champion had played just one match since May coming into Flushing Meadows, with injuries forcing her out of the grass-court season and US Open build-up.She played superbly to upset world number two Simona Halep on the first day of the tournament, and then beat Timea Babos and Sofia Kenin on her way to the last 16.Sevastova proved too strong, however, the 5ft 5in Latvian’s defensive skills and ability to create angles ultimately derailing the Russian.“The first set was very close, it could have gone either way,” said Sevastova.“She played unbelievable throughout the first and second set and I just kept fighting, running every ball, and just stayed there.”Sharapova ended the match with 51 errors to 42 winners as she pressed too hard in trying to break down Sevastova’s brilliant defence.The Latvian went close to taking the first set after coming back from 4-1 down, but Sharapova clinched it with two magnificent forehands in game 12.The momentum had already begun to swing though, and Sevastova would level thanks to a single breakÂ at 2-1Â in the second – in one rally lobbing Sharapova twice, prompting the Russian to scramble left-handed in desperation.A six-minute bathroom break ahead of the decider apparently did not have the desired effect as Sharapova quickly fell 3-0 down.She had said after her opening match that “this girl has a lot of grit”, and it was in evidence as she cut the deficit to 3-2, but in the end Sevastova had too much.Sharapova fought off three match points before a big first serve left the five-time major winner flailing at a return that flew wide after two hours and 17 minutes. Maria Sharapova’s first Grand Slam tournamentÂ in 19 monthsÂ ended with defeat by Anastasija Sevastova in the US Open fourth round.Latvia’s Sevastova, the 16th seed, won 5-7 6-4 6-2 to reach the quarter-finals in New York.The 27-year-old will play Sloane Stephens in the quarter-finals, after the American beat Julia Goerges. Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram
Kunle AdewaleThe Chairman of Lagos State Sports Commission, Dr Kweku Tandoh has hailed the new champion in the Men’s Singles of Asoju Oba Table Tennis Championship, saying that his victory has further proved that the state is on course in its developmental programmes.The 50th edition of the Asoju Oba Table Tennis Molade Okoya-Thomas Championship ended at the Teslim Balogun Stadium, Surulere on Friday with David Fayele, who can be regarded as a local boy, taking the shine off Europe-based Olajide Omotayo in the final that ended 4-2. Fayele of the Nigerian Army was presented with the star prize of the competition, a brand new car courtesy of the family of the late Sir Molade Okoya-Thomas, the sponsor of the oldest running competition in Nigeria.To Tandoh, Fayele defeating an experienced Omotayo who is based abroad was a testimony that Lagos is a breeding ground for upcoming talents, who would take over from the ageing athletes very soon.He said Fayele will be one of the several youngsters Team Lagos will parade at the 19th National Sports Festival, which holds in Abuja from 6-16 December, adding that the commission would leave nothing to chance to ensure Team Lagos have good outing in Abuja.Reacting to his victory over Omotayo, the new champion said that he was able to overcome the challenge of his opponent with determination and focus.“When I discovered that I would be playing Omotayo who is based abroad, I had to double up my training and as a soldier, I have this strong belief that a civilian cannot defeat a soldier in any contest. I want to assure that I will repeat this feat at the Sports Festival in Abuja,” said Fayele, who won the mixed double event with Nimota Aregebsola.In the women’s singles, Bose Odusanya defeated Aregesola in a game that ended 4-2. Odusanya was also a proud owner of a brand new car.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram