To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
Deaths in care homes fell at a slower rate than the population at large, and the total number of deaths in care homes in England and Wales now stands at 9,975.A cross-party parliamentary committee looking into the government’s handling of the crisis on Tuesday said testing had been “inadequate” in a letter to Prime Minister Boris Johnson.”The decision to pursue an approach of initially concentrating testing in a limited number of laboratories and to expand them gradually… is one of the most consequential made during this crisis,” they said.”From it followed the decision on March 12 to cease testing in the community and retreat to testing principally within hospitals.”The decision meant residents in care homes could not get tests when the virus was at its most potent stage, they added. Topics : The government’s official rolling tally, which was 34,796 as of Monday, is lower because it only records deaths after positive tests.Either way, Britain is the worst-hit country in Europe, and the government has been criticized heavily for its response to the outbreak.The ONS figures show a sharp fall in coronavirus deaths in the week up to May 8, reinforcing ministers’ claims that the country is past the peak.Numbers in England and Wales fell from 6,035 to 3,930. Care home deaths accounted for 42.4 percent of the total — up from 40.4 percent the week before. Britain’s official coronavirus death toll is now over 40,000 with almost 10,000 dead in care homes in England and Wales alone, according to a statistical update released on Tuesday.Some 40,902 deaths from coronavirus were registered by May 8, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS), meaning the true toll will be even higher when deaths registered over the last 10 days are taken into account.The ONS figures include deaths where COVID-19 is suspected or mentioned on the death certificate.
Meanwhile, North Sulawesi had recorded 4,868 confirmed COVID-19 cases as of Thursday, with 185 fatalities.According to Sitaro Regent Evangelian Sasingen, her strategy for keeping the region COVID-19-free until June was to impose preventive measures before the central government announced the first COVID-19 in Indonesia.“At every entrance there were strict examinations. At the beginning, we didn’t have personal protective equipment, so we wore raincoats instead”, she said in a statement published on the national COVID-19 task force’s website on Thursday.After the first case in the regency was announced, an infection cluster was detected at a market, prompting Evangelian to lock down the market temporarily while the area was disinfected. With the COVID-19 pandemic sweeping across the world and Indonesia, Siau Tagulandang Biaro (Sitaro) Islands regency in North Sulawesi has become a rare case of a region with a very low rate of infection.The first confirmed case of COVID-19 was only recorded in the regency that comprises Siau, Tagulandang and Biaro islands, in June, after a resident who had just returned from the provincial capital of Manado tested positive for the deadly virus.As of Thursday, the regency, which has a population of 73,584, had one COVID-19 patient under treatment, while 34 patients had recovered and one had died. Her administration also traced the contacts of the patient, which lead them to one subdistict. Whenever a reactive result was recorded from an initial test, the suspected carrier was taken to the Rumah Singgah shelter home, which the administration has turned into isolation center.In addition to setting up an isolation center, she also established COVID-19 task forces at every level of the community from district to subdistrict, village to hamlet. The task forces are in charge of monitoring all newcomers to their respective areas.”All newcomers are obliged to undergo isolation for two weeks,” Eva said. Traditional leader of Sitaro Islands regency Erland Jaya Salindeho added that cooperation between the regional administration, traditional leaders and the community had been optimal.The challenge they faced was how to engage remote hamlets.“We addressed the issue by establishing traditional institutions who are in charge of educating and empowering residents and mitigating disasters,” Eva said.For their efforts at curbing COVID-19, the National Disaster Mitigation Agency gave an award to Sitaro regency on Thursday.According to a risk map published on the national COVID-19 task force’s website, as of Oct. 11 there were 11 “low risk” green zones that had recorded zero cases of COVID-19 and 14 regions that were not affected by COVID-19. (iwa) Topics : Editor’s note: This article is part of a public campaign by the COVID-19 task force to raise people’s awareness about the pandemic. #covid19taskforce #mothermessage #wearmask #keepyourdistance #washyourhand #socialdistance #avoidcrowd #usesoap
Advertisement Comment Metro Sport ReporterSaturday 7 Sep 2019 3:35 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link21Shares Gabriel Martinelli explains the influence of Unai Emery and Edu on him at Arsenal Gabriel Martinelli is loving his new life at Arsenal (Picture: Arsenal FC via Getty Images)Arsenal striker Gabriel Martinelli is enjoying his new life in north London and has high praise for Gunners boss Unai Emery and technical director Edu.The 18-year-old signed from Ituano in Brazil this summer and has already made his Premier League debut, coming off the bench in the opening game of the season against Newcastle.He is not expected to be a regular in the first team this season, with the likes of Alexandre Lacazette and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang ahead of him in the pecking order, but he is happy to be learning from Emery and Edu at the Emirates.‘The coach [Emery] is a great person, and I’m learning a lot from him on a daily basis,’ Martinelli told Lance.ADVERTISEMENT Martinelli made his Premier League debut against Newcastle (Picture: Getty Images)‘I try to do my best in training so that, when I have the opportunity, to grasp it with everything.AdvertisementAdvertisement‘Edu is an exceptional guy, a great professional, victorious and who made history with the Arsenal shirt.‘We talked a lot when I arrived and, undoubtedly, having a person like him around motivates us more and more.’More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityIt has been a huge change for the teenager, moving from Sao Paulo to London and to a club full of household names.Martinelli admits that it was nerve-racking meeting his new team-mates because he has been watching them on the small screen from Brazil.‘I’ve arrived in a new place, with a different culture, another style of play and only with time and working day-to-day will I develop in the best way possible,’ the forward continued.‘I was received in the best way possible. Being very young, I got a little shy, because I only saw these players on television and in video games.‘But they welcomed me very well, making me feel at home and I try to learn from them on a daily basis.‘My adaptation has been the best possible. I had a strong pre-season where I was able to play a good role and showcase my qualities.‘I know the squad is packed with great players, but I know what I can do and my goal is to help the team.‘I think we can achieve great things this season by winning titles and marking our name in Arsenal ’s history.’MORE: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang likes Instagram post demanding Arsenal sell Granit XhakaMORE: Paul Merson warns Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea about Premier League rivals Leicester and Everton Advertisement
Advertisement Comment The grave also has beer can tributes (Picture: SWNS)Mrs Brown added: ‘My daughter made the cross and we had artificial flowers sprayed red and yellow for the Arsenal home and away shirt.‘Every time people went there they said how really nice and colourful it looked. They said it looked amazing.In a letter, she was told she must remove the Arsenal football shirt and the cross it is on, artificial flowers spelling out the words ‘dad’, ‘grandad’ and ‘husband’, and the two beers cans.She was told they were ‘not appropriate’ and do not ‘conform’ to cemetery rules.Mrs Brown said her son has written to her local MP regarding the incident.She said: ‘I am so emotional about it and find it deeply offensive the use of the word inappropriate.’More: UKScotland outlines tier system as millions face new restrictions across UKLondoners ‘should be paid a Universal Basic Income if circuit-breaker comes in’Queen criticised for not wearing face mask in first appearance since lockdownIn the same row is another grave which also has a football shirt on a cross along with an array of other personal tributes.In a statement, Exeter City Council added: ‘Everyone who comes to the cemetery comes to grieve. It is a really special place for so many people.‘Therefore we need to uphold some basic principles on behalf of everyone who considers it a sacred place.AdvertisementAdvertisement‘Despite the difficulty in writing to someone who will be on a journey of grief, we have to do so for the benefit of others.’ Dee and Andrew Brown (Picture: SWNS)Mrs Brown, of Exeter, Devon, said: ‘He just absolutely loved Arsenal. He was a gunner in the army and Arsenal was his biggest passion.‘He had every shirt and my son turned them into pillows for us after he died.‘We wanted things on display that were a big part of life and it is not nice they are taking away what he loved.‘This has sent me right back again and brought up all the old heartache.Mrs Brown now faces a battle with Exeter City Council after she said she would not be removing the shirt.She described her husband, who died from cirrhosis of the liver, as a hardworking man who started drinking to block up some trauma from his childhood.He was well known for enjoying cans of John Smiths at family celebrations – and two cans of his favourite beer are also draped over the memorial.The couple married in 1982 and had four children and 12 grandchildren. Got a story for Metro.co.uk? Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more stories like this, check our news page. Family ordered to remove Arsenal shirt tribute from dad’s grave his family has been ordered to remove the tribute (Picture: SWNS) Jimmy NsubugaFriday 28 Feb 2020 12:30 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link497Shares Andrew Brown’s grave disrupted by wind (Picture: SWNS) Andrew Brown’s tribute at his grave (Picture: SWNS)The family of a life-long Arsenal fan who died in 2018 have been told they are not allowed to leave a team jersey at his grave.Exeter City Council has ordered Andrew Brown’s relatives to remove a football shirt from his burial site.The father-of-four died aged 57 two years ago and loved ones celebrated his life with a shrine at his resting place.They installed a famous red and white football shirt taking centre stage hanging on a cross.ADVERTISEMENTBut following a recent inspection, his widow Dee Brown, 61, received a letter from the council ordering her to remove the personal tributes.AdvertisementAdvertisementShe has now been given two weeks before they are forcibly taken away. Advertisement Sign Up for News UpdatesGet your need-to-know latest news, feel-good stories, analysis and moreSign upNot convinced? Find out more »