Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditNBA-CAVALIERS-BEILEINReports: Cavaliers, Beilein splitting after just 54 gamesCLEVELAND (AP) — Cavaliers first-year coach John Beilein (BEE’-lyn) will end a rough season by stepping down after 54 games, according to multiple reports Player discipline possible for future sign-stealing offensesUNDATED (AP) — Major league players could be punished for future sign-stealing violations in the wake of the Houston Astros’ scandal that only resulted in discipline for managers, coaches and executives.Commissioner Rob Manfred and union head Tony Clark both said Tuesday that MLB and the players’ association are discussing potential rules changes regarding sign stealing and technology.No players were punished by MLB, and opponents from other teams have expressed dismay over that fact since spring training opened last week. Many have also called for Manfred to strip Houston of its 2017 World Series title.Houston manager AJ Hinch and general manager Jeff Luhnow were banned for one season by Manfred and subsequently fired by the team last month after MLB released the findings of its investigation into the Astros. Former bench coach Alex Cora is expected to be disciplined when baseball announces the results of its probe into the Boston Red Sox, who cut ties with Cora as manager due to his involvement with Houston’s illegal sign stealing in 2017 and 2018. Associated Press Update on the latest sports Carlos Beltrán, the only Astros player mentioned in the MLB report, was not disciplined by the league but was let go in his new role as New York Mets manager.TOKYO OLYMPICS-CHINA OUTBREAKVirologist: Tokyo Olympics probably couldn’t be held nowTOKYO (AP) — A respected Japanese virologist said Wednesday that if the Tokyo Olympics were tomorrow, the games probably couldn’t be held because of the fast-spreading virus from Wuhan, China.Dr. Hitoshi Oshitani said, speaking at the Foreign Correspondents Club of Japan, said, “Right now we don’t have an effective strategy, and I think it may be difficult to have the Olympics. But by the end of July we may be in a different situation.” Citing anonymous league sources, ESPN.com reported that Beilein is expected to say goodbye to staff and players Wednesday when they return from the All-Star break.The 67-year-old former Michigan coach was a surprising hire by the Cavs last year because of his age and lack of any pro experience. Beilein signed a five-year contract — the final year was a club option — in May.Cleveland is just 14-40 — the worst record in the Eastern Conference — and Beilein struggled to gain his players’ confidence or respect while the losses piled up.Associate head coach J.B. Bickerstaff is expected to take over on an interim basis for Beilein. Bickerstaff coached in Memphis for nearly two full seasons before being fired last year. He was also Houston’s head coach in 2015-16.MLB-SIGN-STEALING-PLAYER DISCIPLINE February 19, 2020 The local Tokyo Olympic organizing committee and the International Olympic Committee have repeatedly said over the last few weeks that they are following the advice of the World Health Organization and that the games will go on.But with every passing day, the impact of the virus seems to spread, and so does the fallout: Olympic qualifying events are canceled or postponed, travel gets difficult, and athletes and families are left wondering. Not to mention sponsors and broadcasting networks that have invested billions of dollars in the Olympics.The modern Olympics dating from 1896 have only been canceled during wartime.
“[The CN235] can provide air support for ground troops, combat search and rescue missions, naval patrols, as well as border patrols,” Adi said in a statement on Tuesday. He added that Pakistan, the Philippines, United Arab Emirates, Qatar and Senegal were potential markets for the gunship.Such African and Middle Eastern countries are among the many nontraditional markets eyed by PTDI as Indonesian businesses seek to fill global supply gaps arising from the US-China trade war.The company exported at least two planes last year — one to Thailand and one to Nepal — and is slated to ship another plane to Senegal this year.Through its participation at the air show, Adi said that the Bandung-based company was also trying to expand marketing and increase the sales of its products and services, include planes, helicopters and most recently, long-range military drones, as well as maintenance, repair and overhaul services. (nor) State-owned aircraft manufacturer PT Dirgantara Indonesia (PTDI) is displaying a CN235 gunship at the Singapore Airshow held at the Changi Exhibition Center from Feb. 11 to 16.PTDI corporate communication manager Adi Prastowo said the company was seeking to “expand marketing and increase sales of products and services” by participating at the show.He added that the CN235 gunship — a multifunctional vehicle that can carry cargo, paratroopers, medical teams and patrol squads — had been developed to meet market demand. The particular model displayed in Singapore also sported a 30-caliber machine gun. Topics :
Unai Emery tells Arsenal to hijack Manchester United’s move for Thomas Meunier Advertisement Metro Sport ReporterMonday 27 May 2019 11:00 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link1.9kShares Arsenal manager Unai Emery is keen to sign PSG misfit Thomas Meunier (Picture: Getty)Arsenal manager Unai Emery is interested in signing Paris Saint-Germain full-back Thomas Meunier this summer.Stephan Lichtsteiner is expected to leave Arsenal in the coming months and Emery is keen to find a replacement for the Swiss in order to provide competition for Hector Bellerin at right-back.Meunier has dropped down the pecking order at PSG, with Thilo Kehrer and Colin Dagba both preferred by Thomas Tuchel, and the Belgian has been heavily linked with a move to the Premier League for some time.Manchester United are long-term admirers of Meunier – who has supported the Red Devils since childhood – but they could face serious competition in their pursuit of the defender.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTMore: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityAccording to France Football, Emery was impressed with Meunier during his time as PSG manager and has added the Belgium international to Arsenal’s shortlist of targets.Meunier’s potential interest in joining Arsenal may depend on whether or not they qualify for next season’s Champions League.The report claims that PSG have slapped a €30m (£26.5m) asking price on the former Club Brugge man. Emery has a close relationship with Meunier from his time as PSG boss (Picture: Getty)Former Arsenal star Charlie Nicholas has urged Emery to sign Meunier’s PSG team-mate, Adrien Rabiot, this summer.‘We need a box-to-box style midfield player and a player that can pick a pass too, so it is a matter of bringing in the right ones,’ Nicholas told Sky Sports earlier this month.‘I think you need to know your system, fit them in and see where it takes you. Adrien Rabiot will be a free-agent and been linked with different clubs, but I would take him.‘He has the quality and is of decent level, which Arsenal need.More: FootballBruno Fernandes responds to Man Utd bust-up rumours with Ole Gunnar SolskjaerNew Manchester United signing Facundo Pellistri responds to Edinson Cavani praiseArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira moves‘In attack, I like Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Alexandre Lacazette but will they win you the Premier League? I think they could.‘Between them, bearing in mind they haven’t actually played much together, their goal return has been a very good return.‘Arsenal have been relying on one striker for too long and now they have two so it does give me hope.‘I would sell Henrik Mkhitaryan and if I got the right money for Alex Iwobi I would sell him too. Denis Suarez has gone, that was a waste of time.’MORE: Virgil van Dijk reveals he spoke to Ajax’s Dutch contingent after Tottenham defeat Comment Advertisement
The Belgian government has indicated that it wants to tie second-pillar retirement to the official retirement age for the state pension. It also wants to raise the minimum age for receiving an additional pension from 60 to 63 by 2018, the Belgian business daily De Tijd reported.It said that the plans were part of the budget agreements which were concluded in July.The measure must ensure that a planned increase of the retirement age for the state pension also actually leads to workers retiring later, the paper quoted the government as saying. The cabinet stressed that it didn’t want people to stop working before they had reached the minimum retirement age for the state pension. The state pension is to rise to 67 in 2030.The new proposal would level up the retirement age for the second pillar with the first pillar.The government further made clear that it wanted to outlaw provisions in pension funds regulations that encourage early retirement.That said, the proposed measures still need to be discussed with Belgian social partners.
This past weekend, the White House announced increased restrictions on international travel due to the coronavirus, or COVID-19.The Miami International Airport has already started taking precautions. Extra screening is being done for travelers returning from China.Alitalia, an Italian based air carrier, started taking precautionary measures and are pre-screening all passengers traveling from Rome to MIA. Delta Airlines also announced the company would be canceling flights from New York to Milan due to COVID-19. American Airlines also suspended their flights from MIA and John F. Kennedy International Airport to Milan due to “low demand.”The travel advisory for Italy and South Korea has been increased to a level four, the highest level.Starting Monday, foreign nationals will not be allowed to enter the U.S. if they have visited Iran in the last 14 days.,This past weekend, the White House announced increased restrictions on international travel due to the coronavirus, or COVID-19.The Miami International Airport has already started taking precautions. Extra screening is being done for travelers returning from China.Alitalia, an Italian based air carrier, started taking precautionary measures and are pre-screening all passengers traveling from Rome to MIA. Delta Airlines also announced the company would be canceling flights from New York to Milan due to COVID-19. American Airlines also suspended their flights from MIA and John F. Kennedy International Airport to Milan due to “low demand.”The travel advisory for Italy and South Korea has been increased to a level four, the highest level.Starting Monday, foreign nationals will not be allowed to enter the U.S. if they have visited Iran in the last 14 days.