The 26-year-old was provisionally suspended from competing at the Rio Olympics and replaced by Parveen Rana.However, India’s wrestling federation (WFI) will now try to reinstate Yadav.The WFI says it will write to the World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) and United World Wrestling (UWW) regarding the issue.“There is no fault or negligence on the athlete’s part and he is a victim of sabotage,” said Navin Agarwal, the National Anti-Doping Agency’s director-general.Yadav was picked over two-time Olympic medallist Sushil Kumar after he won India’s quota place with bronze at last year’s World Championships.“I want to thank everyone who supported me,” he said. “It’s a triumph for truth. Now I want to go to Rio and bring back a medal for India.”Indian shot put champion Inderjeet Singh also claimed he had failed a drugs test because of a “conspiracy” against him.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Indian wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s failed drugs test was a result of “sabotage”, according to a ruling by his country’s anti-doping disciplinary panel.He tested positive for banned substances but claimed his food was spiked with steroids by two fellow wrestlers and made a police complaint.
Liam Smith beats domestic rival Liam Williams in controversial fashion at the Manchester Arena.Welshman Williams, 24, was withdrawn from the fight by his corner at the start of the 10th round with blood pouring from a severe cut to his eye.Williams had seemed in control of the contest and was one point ahead on all of the judges’ scorecards.It was unclear whether the cut occurred because of a clash of heads or following a punch.Liverpudlian Smith, however, was declared the winner and spoke of his disappointment after the fight following his failure to make the weight before the bout.It means the 28-year-old was not able to be crowned as the WBO’s interim world light-middleweight champion.Gary Lockett, who trains Williams, told BBC Wales Sport he felt he had “no option” other than to pull his fighter out.“The eye was damaged, it was a decision that had to be made,” he explained.“He said he couldn’t see. I can’t let him fight with that. It was only going to get worse. He couldn’t see out of it.”It later emerged that Williams had suffered a severe double laceration to his right eyelid and was immediately sent to see a plastic surgeon.Smith believes it was a fist, not a head, that did the damage, and both he and promoter Frank Warren made clear a rematch could well be set.“It’s a shame the winner is not coming away with a title. We’ll try and do it again for a title,” Warren said.Smith added: “I am the most genuine fighter you’ll come across, if Frank (Warren) offers the money I would do that again.”Williams made a tremendous start to the contest, culminating in a vicious right hand that cut Smith above the right eye.However, the Liverpool fighter was getting back into things in a tremendously entertaining fight before the decision at the start of round number 10.(BBC Sport)
â€œFollowing a final diagnosis on Monday lunchtime, the Bayern captain underwent surgery early on Tuesday morning to repair the damage. The op, performed by Prof. Dr. Ulrich Stockle in Tubingen, involved setting the fracture with a plate.”Bayern CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge added: “Manuel Neuer has sustained another injury and we’re incredibly sorry for him. The operation went perfectly, which is the most important thing for now. We and our captain are now looking to the future. Manuel will be back to his previous best and available to us again in January.”Germany is on the verge of booking a place at the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia but face a tough trip to closest challengers Northern Ireland next month. Neuer, meanwhile, will discover this Friday whether he is among the final nominees for The Best as the final trios for the various awards are unveiled in London.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Germany and Bayern Munich captain Manuel Neuer will be sidelined until January after undergoing surgery on a foot injury.The goalkeeper, who is among the nominees for The Best FIFA Men’s Player 2017 award, has fractured the same bone that kept him out of action at the tail end of last season.Bayern announced the news yesterday in a statement on the club website. It read: “Manuel Neuer (31) sustained a repeat hairline fracture of the metatarsal in his left foot in training on Monday.
In the Under 10 Boys event final, Emmanuel Ogbemi of Edo State defeated Bright David Monday of Jacob Esuene Sports Club by three sets to two with Udeme Esuene and Mitchel Ibanga Okon, both of the host club emerging joint third.Delight Temple of Jacob Esuene Sports Club won the Under 15 Girls category by winning all three straight sets against Edo State’s Osas Ogbemi. Both Emediong Usoro of the host club and Bayelsa State’s Victory Lucky came joint third.In the Under 15 Boys category, Monday Anthony of Delta State won 3-0 set to leave Harold Whyte of Bayelsa State as first runner-up, and both Treasure Temple of the host club and Edo State’s Timothy Albert were joint third placed winners.The Under 20 Male category produced Miracle Amadi of Charlie’s Club Port Harcourt as the champion beating Victor Effiong of 13 Brigade, Cross River State, while both Isaiah Friday and Junior Joseph placed third.In all, 10 clubs from the South-south region competed at the inaugural edition of the tournament. They include: Canaan Club Calabar, Uyo Club, Shell Club Port Harcourt, Port Harcourt Club, Benin Club and Police Officers’ Mess Squash Club Benin.Others are: Yenagoa Sports Club, NAK Club Calabar, NNPC Squash Club Warri and Government House Squash Asaba and the host club.In line with the rules of the World Squash Federation, the organisers upgraded participants who fell short of their desired category to the next age grade.To guarantee the safety and security of the children, there was a 24-hour police coverage at the hotel where they camped while nurses and first aiders were present at the tournament venue with a rapid response medical unit available overnight.Prizes included squash rackets, for all medal positions in the age grade.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram The President of the Nigerian Squash Federation, Boye Oyerinde and Akwa Ibom State Commissioner for Youth and Sports, Sir Monday Ebong Uko have commended the organisers of Jacob Esuene Sports Club Squash tournament for their commitment to the grooming of young squash talents.Oyerinde and Uko, who was represented by the acting Permanent Secretary in the Ministry, Lawrence Iquaibom, urged other organisations to emulate the example of Jacob Esuene Sports Club Squash section, Eket in developing the interest of young enthusiasts in the sport.At the end of the intensive three-day tournament, God’s Finger Temple of Jacob Esuene Sports Club beat Kelechi Onyekaozuru from Bayelsa State in the final of the Under 10 Girls competition, while Favour David Monday also of the host club picked the bronze medal. Boye Oyerinde
The National Collegiate Athletic Association turned down USC’s appeal to gradually reduce scholarship sanctions in a statement Friday, according to multiple media reports.USC Athletic Director Pat Haden and Vice President for Athletic Compliance Dave Roberts met with NCAA President Mark Emmert Wednesday to discuss the sanctions following the NCAA announcement that Penn State’s sanctions would be reduced. The NCAA, however, said that the two universities’ situations are not comparable.“There is no comparison between the USC And Penn State cases,” the NCAA said in a statement. “USC’s appeal was denied and there is no further consideration being given.”The NCAA sanctions, which came as a result of the 2010 Reggie Bush case, reduced the total number of annual scholarships from 85 to 75. Haden cited the crippling effect the sanctions has had on the university and the NCAA community as reason to explore other solutions.“Given the changing landscape impacting intercollegiate sports over the past year, the recent action regarding Penn State, the impact of the sanctions on our program and the efforts we have undertaken at USC to compete with integrity, we again argued for some considering regarding the 2010 sanctions during the last year of our penalty,” Haden said in a statement.The 75-player roster limit is set to expire with the class of 2014 in February. Follow Yasmeen on Twitter @YasmeenSerhan