That’s why, in an unexpected twist, the Final Vote stands alone as the best thing about the All-Star Game.At 1 p.m. Tuesday, the Dodgers opened the doors of their Ketel One Club, a posh lounge area on the field-level concourse beyond right field. A couple dozen members of the Pantone 294 fan club entered, sat down in front of computers and remained there for up to 24 hours without interruption. Their sole purpose: to elect Max Muncy to the All-Star Game by clicking over and over again.Sign up for Home Turf and get exclusive stories every SoCal sports fan must read, sent daily. Subscribe here.It was a team effort. The Dodgers provided some desktop computers, while other fans brought their own laptops and tablets. Papa John’s delivered pizzas a few innings after the Dodgers’ game began in San Diego. Twelve-ounce aluminum cans of Coke, Pepsi and Fanta littered the empty surface areas; a full refrigerator was stocked with even more drinks. Cracker Jack, potato chips and a single-serve coffee contraption sat on the bar.“We’re pretty prepared,” said Desiree Garcia, “considering last year we were up longer.”“Last year was 72 hours,” Alex Soto added. “It was like three days.” The author Robert Greene revealed in a recent interview that he writes out much of the material that forms his books by hand. Typing words on a screen is faster but more passive, while writing by hand forms a real-time connection between the author and his words. “I’m actually thinking more deeply than when I’m sitting there typing stuff out on a computer,” Greene said. “I don’t know how to explain that.”Faster and more passive defines much of what we call technology, which brings us to the Major League Baseball All-Star Game. Winners of the “Final Vote” in each league were announced Wednesday: Milwaukee Brewers first baseman Jesús Aguilar and Seattle Mariners shortstop Jean Segura. The online contest has been used since 2002 to fill the final roster spot in each league.Until internet voting began in the mid-1990s, it was difficult to vote for All-Star teams without attending an actual baseball game. When Texaco sponsored the event, it distributed ballots at gas stations. Wal-Mart once offered ballots in its stores. Fans could call a 1-800 number to cast votes for a time. But for most of All-Star Game history, the ballots were distributed at ballparks, before the internet slowly and subversively redefined elections. Paper ballots were eliminated completely in 2015.Voter participation appears to be higher now than ever. In 1994, approximately 14 million All-Star votes were cast. By 2015 that number had increased to 620 million. (That year, more than 60 million votes were invalidated out of fear of improper voting.) On a less measurable level, I think some fan engagement was sacrificed in the process of going digital. If you wanted to watch this bizzare postgraduate cram session unfold, the Dodgers set up a camera to broadcast the whole thing live on their Facebook account. Several local television crews offered their own dispatches throughout the day. Steve Yeager, the team’s catching instructor, came by to pay a visit Tuesday. So did Manny Mota, the pinch hitter-turned-coach-turned-broadcaster.On Tuesday afternoon, Dodgers manager Dave Roberts used the video-chatting application Skype to offer some words of encouragement en vivo. “Go Max Mun-cy,” the fans cheered on camera, followed by a five-clap. Roberts clapped along with them.Then Muncy, among the most introverted men in the Dodgers’ clubhouse, Skyped in himself.“When we started doing the ‘vote Max Muncy’ cheer, he started getting a little bit blushy,” Garcia said.While their sick days and vacation time might have suffered, the fans’ effort succeeded in electing Justin Turner to the All-Star Game in 2017. The Dodgers reached out to Pantone 294 last year, Garcia said, eight years after they first began organizing trips to road games from coast to coast. Naturally, they were invited back to elect Muncy.“We didn’t expect all the media attention,” Soto said. “The Dodgers said, hey, let’s get Max in. Let’s do it again.”Los Angeles was not alone in staging an impromptu Final Vote event.The Angels’ candidate was shortstop Andrelton Simmons. The team gave away six tickets to Tuesday’s game against the Mariners; the winners sat together and voted throughout the evening using team-issued iPads. The six fans also received autographed Simmons bobblehead dolls.First baseman Aguilar was the Milwaukee Brewers’ candidate. Wednesday morning, the Brewers staged a voting event for fans at a local pastry shop. Holey Moley Coffee + Doughnuts offered one free “Sweet Jesús” doughnut to the first 500 fans.Critically, MLB removed the option of counting individual Twitter hashtags as Final Vote ballots this year. That forced fans to deliberately visit a website, choose one player from the list of candidates and inform the title sponsor, Camping World, whether or not they owned a recreational vehicle. It was cumbersome, but it also reduced the likelihood of collecting votes from those who have no interest in baseball.In that way, a trend was reversed.Like writing words on paper, voting for All-Stars at a live baseball game offers a deeper connection than a digital screen. Those paper ballots are gone, but a few clever teams have found a way to connect fans to the sport, and to each other, in a meaningful way. Like the game itself, the outcome should be secondary to the journey. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error
Ridwan said that many subdistricts in West Java had turned from COVID-19 red zones to green zones, which means the transmission in the area has been largely controlled and therefore, the areas could start adapting to the new protocols.Pepen revealed that 50 out of 56 subdistricts in Bekasi had been declared green zones including North Bekasi subdistrict where the Summarecon Mall is located.He added that the virus transmission rate in the city had decreased as a result of the city administration’s implementation of large-scale social restrictions (PSBB).“That’s why the virus is less contagious here with an R0 of 0.71 [less than one person on average is being infected by other infected people] and we’re gradually reopening the economy,” Pepen said. He said that malls in Bekasi were allowed to open on June 4 at the earliest, but are required to operate at 50 percent of their capacity.“For example, if the normal capacity is 10,000, now they should only allow 5,000 people to enter. The security will count and limit the number of mall visitors,” Ridwan said, adding that all visitors must wear masks.The director of PT Summarecon Agung, Adrianto Adhi, said that his management was currently preparing the COVID-19 precautions in adherence to the new normal guidelines issued by Health Minister Terawan Agus Putranto on Saturday.The management plans to open Summarecon Mall on June 8.Earlier on Tuesday, Jokowi announced that TNI and National Police personnel would be deployed to guard crowded places such as malls in preparation for the new normal.Topics : President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo visited Summarecon Mall in Bekasi, West Java, on Tuesday to take a look at the mall’s preparations for its upcoming reopening under the so-called “new normal” health protocols.“I come to Bekasi today to ensure our readiness for the ‘new normal’ as we want to stay productive while also remaining protected from the virus at the same time,” Jokowi said.The President visited the mall along with West Java Governor Ridwan Kamil, Bekasi Mayor Rahmat “Pepen” Effendi, Indonesian Military (TNI) commander Air Chief Marshal Hadi Tjahjanto and National Police chief Gen. Idham Aziz.
Governor Wolf: New Funding Will Help Pennsylvania Farmers Grow Their Businesses July 16, 2019 Environment, Press Release Harrisburg, PA – Today, Governor Tom Wolf announced the approval of $1.6 million in low-interest loans funding to assist four Pennsylvania farms with construction costs and land acquisition to spur business creation and expansion.“My administration is committed to strengthening our infrastructure and resources to help our farmers thrive,” Governor Wolf said. “We are pleased to assist Pennsylvania farmers navigate through the unique challenges and opportunities today’s economy presents.”Funded through the commonwealth’s First Industries program, the following loans were approved:Berks CountyRohrer Farm was approved for a $400,000, 15-year loan at a 2.5 percent reset rate through the Greater Berks Development Fund. The loan will support the construction of a 34,680-square-foot cage free organic pullet house in Upper Bern Township.Franklin CountyJunk-Inn Farms, LLC was approved for a $400,000, 15-year loan at a 2.5 percent reset rate through the Franklin County Area Development Corporation. The loan will support the construction of a 40,831-square-foot hog finishing barn in Metal Township.Lancaster CountyDaniel and Wendi Bollinger were approved for a $400,000, 15-year loan at a 2.5 percent reset rate through the EDC Finance Corporation. The loan will support the acquisition of 48.90 acres of farmland in Warwick Township. The property includes two pullet houses, a hog finishing barn, and various machinery sheds.Schuylkill CountyManbeck Farm was approved for a $400,000, 15-year loan at a 2.5 percent reset rate through the NEPA Alliance. The loan will support the construction of a 19,600-square-foot hog finishing barn in Schuylkill Haven Borough.The First Industries Fund (FIF) is a program aimed at strengthening Pennsylvania’s agriculture and tourism industries through loans and loan guarantees. For more information about the Commonwealth Financing Authority and other DCED initiatives, visit https://dced.pa.gov/, and be sure to stay up-to-date with all of our agency news on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn. SHARE Email Facebook Twitter
Huffington Post 30 September 2016Family First Comment: Good constructive helpful tips. 1. Expose your kids to a variety of healthy foodsIf your children are used to always eating chips, cakes, biscuits and fast food, then it’s no wonder why this is all they want. Instead, expose them to colourful whole foods like vegetables, fruits, whole grains like brown rice, and nuts and seeds.2. Be a role modelYou can’t expect your child to eat healthy if you don’t. Children learn by imitation, so teach your children how to eat healthy by doing so yourself.3. Follow the dietary guidelinesDespite the fact that the Australian Dietary Guidelines are simple and publicly accessible, we’re just not following them.“Our kids need to eat certain foods, and vegetables is one of them. We need awareness around these things, this is really important,” Kamper said.4. Change the environment and your attitudeMaking changes is much more difficult when the environment and attitude towards being healthy is negative. This goes for the environment not just in your home but in your own mind.5. Focus on home cooking“The research also shows the more home cooked meals we have, the less likely we will be obese. So, it’s about not getting those packaged foods and takeaway,” Kamper said.6. Make veggies the heroDon’t be put off by the possibility of your child not eating veggies. Be consistent and include a variety of vegetables often, and enjoy them together as a family.7. Practise mindful eatingWe spend more time in front of the TV and computer screens than ever before, and naturally we eat our meals this way. Kamper urges people to stop mindless eating in order to help you and your children feel more satisfied and full.READ MORE: http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2016/09/29/heres-what-to-do-if-your-kids-are-overweight-or-obese/?utm_hp_ref=au-food
Loading… “We had the same debate in relation to (Roman) Abramovich and Chelsea. I think it’s right that we welcome engagement, investment into football in this country. “Everyone’s pleased to see the Premier League back up and running, and also that there are legal safeguards to make sure it’s done the proper way. “This country is an open, outward-looking country. We’ve got investment from all around the world, but we do need safeguards in place. “We’ve seen that in relation to 5G, takeovers that national security and other questions of propriety are properly scrutinised. “We’ve got the due process and laws in place to do that. We have to trust the institutions we’ve got to deliver that.” News of an imminent resolution will come as a relief to all involved at Newcastle, including manager Steve Bruce, who has had to keep his staff and players focused on the restart of the Premier League. He said: “I am only reading from afar but yeah you can feel for everybody concerned. For me, I can’t influence it. I can’t comment on it. Steve Bruce is set to receive an injection of cash Read Also: Liverpool look for Man City favours after derby deadlock “I am glad about that because I can’t be sitting here telling you anything different. All I can influence is, let’s not make it an excuse on the playing angle. “It is what it is. We are paid to perform on a Saturday or Sunday. My staff have to ignore stuff that’s speculation and get on with the job in hand.” FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Back in April, Newcastle owner Mike Ashley agreed to sell the club to a Saudi-led consortium. The deal has since come under heavy scrutiny with government officials, human rights groups and BeIN Sports all calling for it to not be approved. With mounting opposition to the deal, concern was growing on Tyneside that the Premier League may decide to rule against the takeover. However, the Daily Mail are reporting the Premier League is gearing up to make an announcement, which could come this week. It is claimed the decisive factor could be the involvement of the UK government who want to strengthen their relationship with the Saudis. Last week, Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab appeared to give his backing to the deal going ahead, saying: “There’s a proper process that we’ve got in place to look at everything from the competition aspects to other questions of propriety. New owners are incoming at Newcastle “I think it’s right that that legal due process, with all its safeguards that it’s got in place, is followed. “We have this debate about takeovers in this country, and I think we should follow the rule of law. The Premier League are reportedly on the verge of giving the green light to Newcastle for their proposed £300million takeover to go ahead.