That’s what happened Thursday during Day 1 of the 2020 NFL Draft, when Gettleman operated from his home office wearing a mask over his face. At first, fans on social media thought it was another moment to joke about considering there was seemingly no one he needed to protect himself from. In fact, he had a serious reason for covering his face.MORE: Weirdest moments, glitches from 2020 NFL Draft Giants general manager Dave Gettleman is the type of executive fans wait on the edge of their seats to mock.His questionable draft track record and tendency to make odd public statements has led to quick-fire ridicule. Sometimes the urge to make fun gets in the way of waiting to hear the full story. Gettleman, a cancer survivor who was diagnosed with lymphoma in 2017, had an IT person in his house and didn’t want to take risks considering his prior chemotherapy treatment and the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.Dave Gettleman on the mask: “I’ve got a young IT fellow in here with me and we’re social distancing, and part of it’s the mask. I’m fine”Gettleman is in remission from lymphoma, so naturally the Giants GM is extra cautious amidst the COVID-19 pandemic— Madelyn Burke (@MadelynBurke) April 24, 2020Just an FYI: Dave Gettleman was wearing a mask because he went through chemo two years ago and there is an IT person in his house. #Giants .— Zack Rosenblatt (@ZackBlatt) April 24, 2020The Giants took left tackle Andrew Thomas from Georgia with the No. 4 overall pick.New York has at least one selection in every round this year.
Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditNBA-CAVALIERS-BEILEINReports: Cavaliers, Beilein splitting after just 54 gamesCLEVELAND (AP) — Cavaliers first-year coach John Beilein (BEE’-lyn) will end a rough season by stepping down after 54 games, according to multiple reports Player discipline possible for future sign-stealing offensesUNDATED (AP) — Major league players could be punished for future sign-stealing violations in the wake of the Houston Astros’ scandal that only resulted in discipline for managers, coaches and executives.Commissioner Rob Manfred and union head Tony Clark both said Tuesday that MLB and the players’ association are discussing potential rules changes regarding sign stealing and technology.No players were punished by MLB, and opponents from other teams have expressed dismay over that fact since spring training opened last week. Many have also called for Manfred to strip Houston of its 2017 World Series title.Houston manager AJ Hinch and general manager Jeff Luhnow were banned for one season by Manfred and subsequently fired by the team last month after MLB released the findings of its investigation into the Astros. Former bench coach Alex Cora is expected to be disciplined when baseball announces the results of its probe into the Boston Red Sox, who cut ties with Cora as manager due to his involvement with Houston’s illegal sign stealing in 2017 and 2018. Associated Press Update on the latest sports Carlos Beltrán, the only Astros player mentioned in the MLB report, was not disciplined by the league but was let go in his new role as New York Mets manager.TOKYO OLYMPICS-CHINA OUTBREAKVirologist: Tokyo Olympics probably couldn’t be held nowTOKYO (AP) — A respected Japanese virologist said Wednesday that if the Tokyo Olympics were tomorrow, the games probably couldn’t be held because of the fast-spreading virus from Wuhan, China.Dr. Hitoshi Oshitani said, speaking at the Foreign Correspondents Club of Japan, said, “Right now we don’t have an effective strategy, and I think it may be difficult to have the Olympics. But by the end of July we may be in a different situation.” Citing anonymous league sources, ESPN.com reported that Beilein is expected to say goodbye to staff and players Wednesday when they return from the All-Star break.The 67-year-old former Michigan coach was a surprising hire by the Cavs last year because of his age and lack of any pro experience. Beilein signed a five-year contract — the final year was a club option — in May.Cleveland is just 14-40 — the worst record in the Eastern Conference — and Beilein struggled to gain his players’ confidence or respect while the losses piled up.Associate head coach J.B. Bickerstaff is expected to take over on an interim basis for Beilein. Bickerstaff coached in Memphis for nearly two full seasons before being fired last year. He was also Houston’s head coach in 2015-16.MLB-SIGN-STEALING-PLAYER DISCIPLINE February 19, 2020 The local Tokyo Olympic organizing committee and the International Olympic Committee have repeatedly said over the last few weeks that they are following the advice of the World Health Organization and that the games will go on.But with every passing day, the impact of the virus seems to spread, and so does the fallout: Olympic qualifying events are canceled or postponed, travel gets difficult, and athletes and families are left wondering. Not to mention sponsors and broadcasting networks that have invested billions of dollars in the Olympics.The modern Olympics dating from 1896 have only been canceled during wartime.
TRUE to a promise made by former National captain James Brusche and his brothers Mike and Clifton, who are also former national players and are all now residing in the United States of America, the second donation, consisting of two complete backboards, rings, nets and basketballs, was made yesterday in Linden.This time it was the Wismar Hill Primary School which benefited. At the simple handing-over ceremony were Mayor of Linden Carwyn Holland, Headteacher of the school Kemraj Dharamwattie, Dawn McCammon-Barker of the Brusches Basketball Foundation and Clyde Brusche, organiser of the basketball foundation.McCammon-Barker noted that this was the second such donation. The first was given in October this year.Mayor Holland thanked the Brusches Basketball Foundation, saying they were delivering on what they said they would do, as he reminded the pupils and teachers of the need to care the equipment and to ensure they serve the purpose for which they were donated.Headteacher Dharamwattie also was in high praise of the Brusches family and said that the school is not all of schoolwork and academics but wanted the children to be rounded individuals.He proudly reminded that Guyana’s South American gold medallist Deshanna Skeete was a product of that school as he urged that in a few years’ time the school will also produce basketball players at the national level.
THE funeral service for the late West Indies great Sir Everton Weekes will be held at the Kensington Oval in Barbados on July 31, according to media reports in Barbados. He is to be buried alongside greats Clyde Walcott and Frank Worrell on the University of the West Indies Cave Hill campus.Weekes, who made his debut for the West Indies in January 1948 and played 59 Tests in an illustrious career, died on July 1, 2020. Weekes, who was 95, had been ailing for some time after suffering a heart attack in early 2019.Dean at the St Michael’s Cathedral Reverend Jeffrey Gibson will do the sermon while Professor Hilary Beckles will read the eulogy. Barbados Prime Minister Mia Mottley is to read a lesson during the proceedings. Tributes to the great man will come from Cricket West Indies (CWI), the Barbados Cricket Association, The Legends of Barbados, The Empire Cricket Club, the Barbados Bridge Club as well as family members.It is hoped that members of the current West Indies squad will also be in attendance. The West Indies are expected to arrive back in the Caribbean on July 30.During the 1950s, Weekes, Walcott and Worrell formed a troika that helped provide the Caribbean side with the most intimidating batting line up in world cricket. However, Weekes the shortest of the three was the best of them averaging 58.61 during a career that lasted a decade before persistent injury forced his retirement in 1958.He scored 4455 Test runs that included 19 centuries and 19 fifties.In January 1949, Weekes set a record when he scored his fifth century in consecutive innings, a record that still stands today.(Sportsmax).
By Duro Ikhazuagbe with agency reportTaiwo Awoniyi who got injured in Mainz 0-1 home loss to Augsburg in their week 31 game of the German Bundesliga yesterday has become the target of Manager Rouven Schroder.Awoniyi was involved in a head collision with compatriot Augsburg defender, Felix Uduokhai and had to be rushed off to hospital for medical attention. Despite fears, Mainz later confirmed on their Twitter handle he was not in danger. Taiwo Awoniyi been stretchered away from the Opel Arena after head on collision with Augsburg defender, Felix Uduokhai…yesterday Mainz who are sitting dangerously in the 15th spot, just three points above the bottom three of the German topflight, have signified interests to sign the 22-year old forward on a permanent deal from Liverpool to keep him at the Opel Arena.The 2013 Under-17 World Cup winner with the Golden Eaglets played just 23 minutes against Augsburg before he was substituted by Austrian forward, Karim Onisiwo.Awoniyi joined Mainz last summer on loan and initially struggled for game time. However, the Nigerian has experienced something of a resurgence since the Bundesligaresumed, playing every game and scoring in the 2-2 draw at Koln, his first for the club and of the season.Prior to yesterday’s game, he completed 90 minutes in Mainz’s last two league outings, the most recent a shock 2-0 win at Eintracht Frankfurt.“I am very, very positive about him,” Schroder told German newspaper Bild. “Taiwo never let himself down, always had his head up and the absolute will to improve was never negative. It is a symbol of how team sport works.“We are in an exchange with Liverpool, that is an open position. We are now waiting for the last games. Then we’ll see what the next steps are,” observed the Mainz Coach.Awoniyi’s loan contract ends on June 30, with the Bundesliga wrapping up three days earlier.He joined Liverpool in 2015 after shining for Nigeriaat the 2013 Under-17 World Cup in the United Arab Emirates and the 2015 African Under-20 Championship in Senegal.According to Goal.com, Awoniyi’s move to Anfield has been complicated by the failure to get a work permit which led him to loan spells at FSV Frankfurt, NEC Nijmegen, Royal Excel Mouscron and Gent.His two stints at Mouscron were the most successful with a combined 21 goals and 10 assists in 47 appearances.Awoniyi is pleased with his progress, which he hopes the coaching staff at Anfield are noticing.“Coming here is just to make myself better. Even without playing for a while, coming in on Sunday just really shows I’ve really improved since coming to Germany. That’s the goal with being on loan,” he said previously on Liverpool’s official website.“I don’t think I’m the same player as I was in the last few years. I personally have seen improvement in my game and I believe most Liverpool coaches have seen that as well.“I just have to be prepared to improve myself and work on my weak points as well. When I’m back at LFC, I hope they will see that.”Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram